4.2

"Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken."
- 'Drops of Jupiter,' by Train

Sleeping wasn't coming easy tonight. You tried with the covers off, the covers on, on your left side, right side, back side, fetal position, and you tried your stomach, but that hurt so you decided against it. You pinned your inability to sleep on your small nap that you had earlier.

It could also have been because Killua was sitting on the windowsill in front of you, but you forced that thought out of your mind. You would not let him interfere with your sleeping schedule. But, your mind kept drifting back to him, as much as you tried to control it.

Placing the covers off of you, you sat up and walked to the kitchen. Turning on the light, you squeezed your eyes shut before opening them to let them adjust. Grabbing a cup from the shelf,you filled it up with tap water and drank some of it;. Pouring the rest out, you placed the cup in the sink, along with Gon's old tea cup from earlier.

"What're you doing up?" You heard when you walked into the living room. Looking to where Killua was, you saw that he was facing you, rather than looking out of the window.

"Can't sleep," you shrugged, walking back to the couch. Sitting on top of the covers, you placed your chin on your hand, which was resting against the armrest. "What about you? You haven't fallen asleep yet?"

"I can go a few days before needing to sleep, " Killua said, leaning his head against the window border. "Perks of being an ex-assassin."

"I see," you lightly whispered. You didn't know whether or not you brought up unpleasant memories for him, the question seemed pretty harmless to you. Although, it might not have been so harmless to him. "So, uh, guess the nights must be pretty lonely, eh?" You tried to make a joke out of it, not succeeding very well.

"Sometimes," he shrugged, looking back out the windowsill. "More quiet than lonely."

"Well, it looks like you won't be alone tonight, sadly," you smiled a little, pulling your knees to your chest. Precariously balancing on the couch, you said, "Can't sleep, from the nap earlier."

"You probably shouldn't sleep with that necklace on either," he pointed over towards you, looking at the string wrapped around your neck. "It'll leave sleeping marks on your neck."

"Just marks. They aren't dangerous," letting your legs go and stretching them out on the couch, you heard slight popping from your knees and back. "Much less dangerous than falling asleep on the street, that is."

"Yeah, that was stupid of you," his voice picked up and he dangled his legs off of the ledge and onto the couch, "and I was gonna wake you up."

"Why didn't you?"

"Gon told me not to, said you needed to rest or something," you heard the wrinkling of plastic and looked up; only to find him unwrapping a lollipop. Speaking again, his voice muffled from said lollipop, he tilted his head towards you, "Still think I should've woken you up if I knew it would keep you up this late."

"How late is it?" You tried to look out the window, since you didn't want to walk all the way back to the kitchen for the time, but you couldn't see where the moon was.

Killua seemed to notice what you were doing and looked out. Counting something with his head, he looked back to you, "It's around four AM."

"Not a fun time," you groaned and smacked your head with your hand. "And I still need to make that phone call to Koa."

"Who's Koa?" You faintly heard Killua ask. Ignoring what he said, you walked up and grabbed your jacket and bag.

Fishing out the beetle phone and his number, you thought about leaving a voicemail. 'If it's four AM here, then it'd be one AM where he is, he should be asleep,' dialing in his number, you heard the standard phone sound (like gray noise, but less scratchy) until someone picked up.

"Wassup?" You heard his fuzzy voice come on, his tiredness leaking out.

"What're you doing up?" You asked, disregarding the fact that you were also up.

"Still working, better question," he paused for a moment, the sounds of rustling coming from the other end, "What're you doing up?"

"Can't sleep, you do know this is [y/n], right?" You wanted to clarify that it was, in fact, you. He might've been too tired to recognize your voice.

"Yeah, 'course I know who this is, what do you need?"

"Just making sure you had my number. Well, have a good day!" You pressed the end call button and placed your Beetle phone back in your bag. "Well, now that that's done."

You walked back to where you sat at prior and looked back up at Killua, "Oh, yeah, you asked me a question. What was it again?"

"Who's Koa?" He repeated, his voice a bit sharper then before.

"He was a guy I met on the way to the Hunter Exam," you explained, sitting criss-cross applesauce on the couch. 

"Hm," was all he said. 

"Isn't that uncomfortable? Sitting on the windowsill? Why don't you come sit here?" You patted the seat next to you, scooting a bit. "Well, you don't have to, if you don't want to. Just thought that I would offer it, since that looks like it wouldn't be nice to sit on," you rambled, hoping you didn't creep him out too much. 

"Sure, my butt was starting to ache anyway," Killua hopped off of the flat surface, making his way over to you. He sat down next to you, closer then you thought he would've. 

Both of your shoulders touched, the feeling of his making your feel tense. "Yeah, I guessed it was," you awkwardly said, trying to think of other things to say.

"No more jokes?" He looked over at you, the lollipop almost gone.

You shook your head, unable to think of any, "Totally would, but my brain doesn't function past twelve midnight." Playing with your fingers, they felt sweaty and odd. "Or at all, really."

"What do you mean? You're the only one out of me and Gon that's had an actual education," he said, sticking the lollipop in his mouth. 

"I mean, yeah, but," you stumbled over your words, trying to get them out, "I don't know, talking to people is hard."

"Then don't talk," Killua spoke as if it was obvious, the very notion seeming foreign to you.

"You're not very good at advice, are you?" You laughed shortly after saying that, covering your mouth with your hand. Holding your hand out, you moved your fingers in the 'give me' motion, "Give me your hand."

Killua raised his eyebrow, but nevertheless gave you the hand that wasn't holding the lollipop. "What're you doing?"

"It's a game that me and my friend made up," you traced the lines on his palm, marveling at them. "Your life line is pretty long, but there are a few breaks in it. Interesting. Anyway, extend your fingers out."

"Alright," he stretched his fingers, his hand almost the same size as yours. "What now?"

"Before we get started, this game is pretty stupid, it was made when I was five and thought I was the smartest person in the world*," you slightly cringed, regretting your decision to grab his hand. Killua nodded his head, signaling you to go on. Tickling his fingers, you asked him, "Which one tickled the most?"

"This one," he curled up the finger of the one that you had touched second, his index finger.

"Alright," grabbing that one finger, you pinched the three different sections, hard. You felt the sting back at your hand, and already knew the answer to the question. "This one hurt the most, right?" You pointed to the tip of his finger, to which he nodded. "Alright, now I need you to think of a star, moon, or heart. But don't tell."

He seemed to think for a moment, before looking back at you, "I got it."

"Is it a," you drew out the last word, trying to think about what it might be. "hea- moon. Is it a moon?"

"Yeah," he said, to your surprise. "The moonlight is hitting me right in my eye and it was getting annoying."

"See, I am a psychic," you jokingly boasted, still holding onto his hand. "Don't believe me? I bet that you like role-playing games, like Daring and Daunting."

"Never played it, but it sounds fun," Killua laughed a little, his mouth quirking up at one end. "Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong.