5.5

"Symptoms of the culture."
- 'Sit Next to Me,' by Foster the People

"Welcome to Greed Island," an automated voice said. You looked up and saw a girl in a curious circle seat. Around you, the walls were decorated in what looked like the inside of a console (if it were to glow, that is). You noticed that you hadn't felt any different, you assumed there would some sort of backlash due to transporting yourself inside of a console, but you wouldn't dwell on it. "I will now explain how the game works, would you like to hear it?"

"Yes, yes please," you asked, shifting your weight onto one foot. Being in here made you feel uncomfortable, like an odd sense of déjà vu, but it couldn't be déjà vu as you have never been here before. It was uncomfortable because it didn't feel any different.

"Two magic spells are available to anyone wearing a ring: book and gain," she held up two fingers. You rubbed your ring with your thumb, reaching underneath your index finger to get to your middle. While Gon had brought his own, Tsezguerra gave out other ones. Each one looked a bit different, like Killua's had protruded writing around it and a large light blue gem. Yours, on the other hand, had two lines going above and below the citron gem, which was smaller than both Gon's and Killuas. The ring only fit your middle finger, being too big for your ring finger and too small for your index.

"How would I use those spells?" You asked, pulling on one of your fingers.

"Simply extend your hand, the one with the ring, out and say 'book.'"

You did as she instructed, jumping back when a book appeared in front of you. The book was a bit odd looking, the words, or letters, or characters (you couldn't really tell, they were so squiggly) on top made no sense. Did this game use a different language? Could you change it in the settings? You guessed not, since all you could do was use book and gain. 

"Your task is to collect certain cards," the lady continued explaining, "the book is for storing those cards, please open it up to page one."

You felt like you were in school again. Flipping the cover, you looked at the first page and saw one card slot, labeled 000. The other page was filled with card slots, each numbered off 001, 002, 003, etcetera. "You may only place the cards with the coordinating number in these slots. They are called, specific slots."

She continued talking, explaining how it all worked and that you had 45 free spots and one hundred specific slots. To win you must fill the hundred slots. She said that 'Gain' could be used to transform the cards back into their items, if you wanted to use it.

When she was done, stairs started appearing in front of you. You told her thank you and goodbye, waving while you walked down. When you walked underneath the structure, a blinding light nailed you in the eyes. You almost, almost, tripped on the stairs, but you caught yourself before it came to that.

Finally make it to the bottom, you saw Gon sitting near one of the pillars. He was playing with some grass, trying to tie as many pieces together as he could. He looked up when you started walking toward him, waving his hand.

"The sun just started rising when I came out and looking at where it is now, I'd say it's around 9 A.M.," he said, sitting back down. "Unless time works differently here."

"I don't think it does," you shook your head, squinting your eyes at the sun, "it was 8:24 A.M. when I went in and it didn't seem to take too long for me. Although, yours took awhile, why was that?" You thought that it might have had something to do with his ring, you still had no idea how they got it.