Prologue

Not everyone was born with a soulmate. You counted them as lucky. They wouldn't have to deal with the pain of it. They wouldn't have to continually watch what they were doing for fear they would hurt themselves and, ultimately, their soulmate. 

You weren't allowed that kind of luxury. You blamed your soulmate for the fact that the hospital had become your second home. You blamed your soulmate for the fact that the medical bills had begun to stack up. Even with your dads job as a doctor, they could barely afford to pay them off. You blamed, loathed, and cursed your soulmate. 

Thanks to them, however, pain didn't effect you as much. With each muscle that was ripped, with every bone that broke, with every single pain or ache, they grew back stronger. 

You were thankful for your soulmate in that light. 

|~|~|~|

Killua had no idea that soulmates existed. Not until he was ten years old. Although, reading about them in a book wasn't the best way to find out, but it was better than asking any of his family members. 

Way better.

He felt guilty, having put them through all of that pain. But, he couldn't really do anything about it. He had to do it, he had no choice. Once the initial shock had passed, he thought about going out and looking for them. He decided against it, though. Going through town after town, not even knowing what they looked like, seemed like a lot of trouble to go through for one person.

When he decided to take the Hunters Exam, he had hoped to find them there.

***

I feel like this prologue sucks, but I'm also semi-proud of it...

i keep the prologues short, but my chapters all reach 1500 words i promise

edit (dec. 22 2023) hey guys :] i just want to thank u all for supporting this story so much <3 ive definitely outgrown it (and wattpad, by extension) but its nice to see that people still enjoy it. its been a few years since itami was uploaded and finished, so looking at the chapters makes me cringe now, but thats life.