chapter 39

you stare up into her eyes through your watery ones, she looks over at tommy, confusion spread across her face.

"mum," you say, slowly feeling a tear fall down your cheek. you don't realize how much you missed your mum until she has her arms wrapped around you, holding you tight.

she pulls away, looking at you through teary eyes, "why were you crying?" she asks and you just stare at her, not wanting to have to tell her everything about allen, and your dad, and allens mother. it's not the time or place to do that.

"nothing mom, just got a text from someone, it made me happy." you lie, she looks over at tommy again, softly smiling at him and wiping her tears. "who are you?" she asks sweetly, pulling him in for a hug as well and tommy softly hugs her back.

you get embarrassed by your mums' actions, but deep down you know she is just being kind. "i'm uh, tommy." he says, smiling at her when she pulls away.

"oh? are you y/ns' boyfriend?" she says with a giggle, making your head fall to your hands, your cheeks turning to flames, the embarrassment making you want to leave as soon as you can.

he softly laughs at her comment, staring up at her, "no, just friends." he replies. those words shouldn't have hurt as much as they did, but somehow they felt like they left a burning sensation in your chest, your whole body feeling heavier than it was.

"oh yes, friends that stare at each other with eyes full of love, and friends that hold hands while walking together because they are scared to see the other one drift off. you guys are madly in love with each other," she says, a light bubbly laugh falling out of her mouth.

you and tommy knew that she was right in this situation, but you don't think you could ever admit it, you didn't think your mom knew what love looked like based on history.

"mum please." you sigh out, your cheeks on fire from her words, "oh y/n, i know you love me, i guess i should probably get back to the house, i came here to pick up coffee for lynn and me."

she hugs you one more time, softly kissing your cheek, she walks out of the cafe, always managing to look professional, but that is the same mum who overcame seemingly every possible misfortune.

he looks at you, a slight smile on his face, "what?" you ask, wondering why he's so giddy in this situation. "i like your mum, she's cool." tommy says, making you roll your eyes into the back of your head, "of course you would love her." you reply, laughing at your attitude.

his hand seems to find yours again, softly wrapping his fingers around yours, reminding you of what your mum said to the both of you.

seeing your mum helped pull you back to reality, you didn't realize how much you missed her, but you did, you needed to see her.

you're walking with tommy along the pavement, the rain has calmed down to a simple sprinkle, your emotions seeming to affect how the weather was acting.

you look over at tommy, his eyes sparkling a bright blue, one that you've become so familiar with, those same eyes you fell in love with.

his thumb absentmindedly rubbing the back of your hand, making you softly smile at the friction. you hear little pitter pats on the top of your hood from the rain, not a constant downpour from like 30 minutes ago.

"what did he say?" you ask, "what?" tommy questions, confused as to what you're asking. "allen, what did he say?" you repeat your question, but putting the name makes your stomach churn and your mouth taste dull.

"it wasn't important, if it was, i would've told you. he was just rambling on about how he's so sorry and how you should forgive him." you look at him, the way his mouth moves when he talks, wishing that same mouth was on yours.