Chapter 38

IRENE

Seated beside Theodore amongst hundreds of students, I rubbed my sweaty palms on my dress for the umpteenth time.

"You don't have to be so nervous, you know?"

I shot him a glare and he chuckled at my expense.

"You think this is funny. Don't you?" I asked him.

"C'mon you'll do great." He said nudging me with his pearly whites on full display.

We were at the school's Christmas party and Theodore had persuaded me to render a special number. I had accepted but thinking of it as I was seated in the hall, goosebumps crept up my skin.

I was going to sing in front of the entire school!

I was not a shy person, I had never been but this was way different and for some reason I just wanted to go back home to my room and curl into a ball.

The sound of applause had my attention and I watched as the entirety of the school's choir walked to the stage to sing.

They sang a freestyle version of Deck the Halls and wow did they blow my mind. "How on earth will I beat that?" I whispered to Theodore.

"It's not a competition Irene but I believe you'd do great. I trust you Irene." He whispered back.

I took calming breathes to help with my racing heart. "Uh Irene, I think we should be backstage." Theodore immediately said and my eyes went wide like saucers.

"What have we been doing seated here then?" I question my patience at its peak. The anxiety was just too much for me to handle.

He simply shrugged and stood up. I took that as a cue to follow him. When we got to the door of the hall, the voices I heard caused me to stop right in my tracks. I had to turn.

And yes, my assumptions were correct. Sam and Pearl the choir coordinators and the school's power couple were standing on the stage singing a Christmas Medley.

Those two had been together since God knows when and they even got matching outfits for the Christmas party. I joined Claret High in SS1 and they had already started dating. Rumors had it that they started dating in JSS2 and may I add that they just seemed inseparable. The bond they shared was beyond me.

Watching both of them sing so beautifully whilst looking each other in the eyes, I had to give it up. I wouldn't do half as good as them.

"Irene let's go." Theodore beckoned to me and I shook my head.

He creased his brows. "Don't tell me you're bailing out?"

"I can't do this,"

He pulled me out the door and turned to face me once we were outside. "You're not doing this for the school, for me or to win an award Irene. Just think of your God when you sing, think of your sister and your dad and then let your voice work it's wonders."

I was still trying to digest what he had said when a voice came booming through the speakers. "Up next we have Dorcas and Debra. Can we usher them in with a round of applause!"

"You're up after them. Make your decision now."

I bit my button lip nervously.

"No mater what your choice is, I want to let you know that God believes in you, Your dad and your sister believe in you, Your mum and her fiancé believe in you, Ivy and Rowland believe in you, all the guys believe in you, your fans believe in you, I believe you and the whole school believes in you."

After a few minutes of thought, I walked ahead of him mouthing the words that brought a warm smile to Theodore's face. "Let's do this."

We made our way to the other entrance of the hall that led us backstage. "God you two are here, you're up next." One of the backstage coordinators said.