Chapter 23

THEODORE

"Finally!" Irene let out an exasperated sigh as she kicked off her heels and threw herself lazily on the king sized bed. "Today is one stressful day." She mumbled getting up from the bed and heading to where she kept her luggage.

When she got into the adjoined bathroom, I rolled my small trolley to where her large ones were by the wall and took a seat on the bed.

Irene and I were going to share a room because she was not aware I was coming instead of Desmond. Apparently, she was very cool with sharing a room with Desmond.

Before coming up to the room through the elevator, we had asked at the reception for another room but we were told that the rooms were already booked and since we would be returning the next day it was no use anyway.

The independence gala we had attended hosted so may other celebrities and many other influential people in the country that was the more reason why it was strictly by invitation.

"This isn't your picture on the IV card." One of the bouncers growled out at me and Irene explained to them yet he wasn't buying it.

I quietly pulled out my identification card and he let me in after reading out my name from the card.

"Theodore Oyedele-Thompson."

"Son of the—" his second made to ask me and I nodded. They let me in. They simply did. That was it was. If it had been a random person, he wouldn't have been let in. Deep in my heart, I knew it wasn't right as we were all equal before the law, wealthy or not but sadly, that's how it all works.

The hall was decorated exclusively, three exquisite chandeliers hanging out from the ceiling and lightening up the room. The round table of six scattered beautifully around the event hall with assorted edibles sitting enticingly on them.

I had excused myself halfway into the party to use the bathroom and returned to meet Irene with an unfamiliar guy and to me, she seemed very uncomfortable.

Poor Irene! I had thought, I knew what it felt like to be forced into an unyielding conversation.

"Would you stop hitting on the girl." I called out as soon as I got to the duo. Beside me I watched her heave a sigh of relief and relief washed over me.

She's fine. I had thought.

"Why should I listen to you?" He replied with a scowl.

I eased into the chair crossing my legs in that businessman style my dad always did.

"We came together."

"So?" His scowl deepened, It felt like he was about to snap.

"She's my girlfriend." I wrapped an arm around Irene and surprisingly, she didn't try to clarify things. She wrapped her hands around me and placed her head on my chest.

A smirk made it's way to my face. I could actually tell he was screaming 'PDA' in his head.

He stood up and walked away fury evident in his features.

"He's gone now, you can—"

"Please let me remain like this."

I didn't object. I let her hold me like that and through out the period we were in that position, no fan came searching for Irene.

The party was fun even though I sat rooted to a spot most of the time.

What actually got me bananas was that that same guy that I met hitting on Irene did the exact same thing with me.