Chapter 19

THEODORE

"So how did the competition go?" I asked Osaze whom I was on a call with. "Good. Really good though Irene got injured."

"She did?" I asked as though I had not heard what she had said earlier. "Yeah. Though it wasn't serious. Just a sprain." She said and I nodded.

"Alright then. My younger brother has started with his mischief this evening and I can't afford to be at the receiving end again so I'll have to call you later." "Okay. Take care." I said and she hung up.

I made to call Irene and ask how she was faring but then a message came in and it was from Irene.

Can we meet up at the beach?

I replied her instantly.

Sure I'll be there in fifteen minutes

I walked to my closet to get into something more comfortable. That done, I rushed down the stairs.

"Mum, I'll be going out!" I yelled from the base of the stairs. When I received no reply, I walked to the door. Sighting Lucy outside by the fountain, I walked to her to leave my message.

"Tell my mum I went out with her car and I might not be back till nine." She nodded and got into one of my mum's numerous cars. Putting in the ignition, the Toyota highlander roared to life.

The drive to the beach was brief as my house was not too far from it. Parking at a secluded spot, I grabbed one of my mum's tiny scrunches and packed my hair into a tight bun.

I hardly even packed my hair but when I did, it made heads turn. Examining myself through the rearview mirror, my eyes landed on the diamond studded earrings on both my ears and my mind travelled back to the time when I had my ears pierced.

Not today, Not now, Not ever!

I waded away the thoughts and walks out of the car. And as expected, heads turned as I walked. Male and female were watching and making comments.

I got to the life guard stand and rested my back there to wait for Irene. What did she want to talk to me about anyway? I wondered.

Sighing, I close my eyes reminiscing over the nightmare I had the previous night.

"...when I mark my territory, I become very dangerous..."

"...it's a lost course for you bro..."

"It's either me or nobody else..."

"...when I want something, I go out of my way, break protocols and go against my principles to get it..."

The voices kept coming and I began seeing their faces. It was as though they were staring intently. It felt so real to be surreal.

My eyes flew open and and indeed there was someone staring at me. Irene. She looked surprised, tensed and terrified all at once.

I decided to give her a once over. She was putting on a white turtle neck sweater probably made of wool and a pair of black shorts to go with. Her hair was let down and hung at her shoulders.

My eyes took in her long, straight and flawless legs and then returned to her face. She didn't look like the supermodel she was at that moment, she looked like a young girl with a vision. A young girl that wanted to hide away from her reality.

"Hello." She squeaked and gave a small wave walking to me. "Hi." Was my simple response. "We should um, take a seat on the sand." She said gesturing to an empty space close to the water. I nodded and we both sat down on the soft beach sand.