Chapter 18

Tobias at the media.

IRENE

My week was very uneventful. I was practicing really hard for the competition on Friday as I didn't want to disappoint my coach. Theodore and I hadn't met concerning our project and I didn't receive any funny texts as of recent. Maybe it was just a prank and the person gave up. Right?

I was seated at the cafeteria with the guys on Friday. Classes for the day ended before break as a result of the competition which would start by twelve.

I was typing away on my phone as the others ate. "Irene won't you eat something?" That was Ola. And did I mention that Ola and TY were now official? Well they are a couple now.

"Nah, I'll have something afterwards."
She nodded and turned to TY to whisper something into his ear.

Ola and TY had been giving the couple goals ever since Monday when they started dating. The talk they had led to the relationship. They both confessed their feelings and I would have sworn they would have kissed if it wasn't that they were at a crowded place.

"This one that you're pressing phone. Hope you're ready oh." Kiki said pulling her ear dramatically like an overbearing mum. "Yes I am."

I was ready indeed but was as nervous as fuck. Now thinking about it, I didn't know which schools we were competing with.

"Hey Desmond, which schools will we be competing with?" I asked and he looked up from his phone. "Loyola high school and Oasis College."

"Loyola? Ohh Theodore  that's your former school right?" Zion said and took a sip from his soft drink. "Yeah." Theodore replied his eyes on the table. He looked somewhat uncomfortable but that was the least of my worries.

We were competing with Loyola high school!

Now that had me worried. It was the first time our school was competing with Loyola for extra curricular activities that involved sports.

Lunch break was over in no time and most students still remained at the cafeteria and some moved to the garden while some others made their way to the indoor pool at the sporting area of the school. It was already eleven O'clock and the swim contest was to start twelve pm.

I immediately made my way to my classroom to get my bag as I didn't plan on returning to the class when the competition was over. Walking into the classroom, I met Theodore there.

He probably returned to the class for the same reason that I did as he had his bag slung on one shoulder.

"Hey, Um Theodore." I called softly.

He turned to me. "Yeah?"

"You're gonna watch me at the competition right?" What the fuck did I just say. It left my mouth before I could think it through.

"I'm sorry I won't be watching you." He slid his free hand into his pocket. "I'm going home."

"But the school hasn't closed." I said in order to convince him to stay. The reason I did that, I didn't know.

"Yeah. But classes have ended, and I'll love to go home now. Good luck." He gave me a small smile and walked out leaving me standing there.

"Thanks." I muttered inaudibly. The pang I felt in my chest as I made my way to the indoor pool was one I had never felt before.

I felt the tears welling up in my eyes and I took a seat on one of the bleachers as soon as I walked into the pool area.

My elbow was plopped on my thigh as I held my face in my palms and tried my best to push back the tears that threatened to flow down my cheek.