Chapter 41

That's our dear Irene at the media 😊

THEODORE

One month.

One entire month of utter frustration.

I had told Irene to stay away from me a month ago and I regretted it but I was much more occupied to apologize. I was occupied with school, with my thoughts with snippets of daymares and panic attacks.

Looking myself in the mirror, I looked different, just they way I looked weeks before Lucia took her own life. I was stressed out and it took a toll on me.

I wanted to be rid of the pain and suffering and yet didn't want to talk to anyone about it. I needed to voice it yet I didn't want those glances of sympathy.

I had made my parents believe it was just the stress of exams but I knew deep down they knew it was way more than that. They weren't wrong to think so.

I had put a call across to the only person I knew could understand me but I couldn't reach him for an entire week now. I decided to call again, I might be lucky this time around.

He picked up after a few seconds. "Toby where has your phone been? I've been calling you for an entire week now but it has not been reachable. You gave me a real fright there. How are you?"

Silence.

"Toby?"

Still no answer.

"Cousin speak up."

A voice finally came from the other end and it did not sound so good. "This isn't Toby." Whoever it was sounded like they had been crying. It was a female voice.

"Yara?" That was the first name that came to my mind. The girl that always had him smiling to his phone.

"Not Yara. It's Sarah, his best friend."

Not Yara, got it.

"Okay, Sarah give the phone to Toby."

"I can't."

You have got to be kidding me!

I etched my brows.

"Why?"

She sniffed a bit before speaking. "Because Toby can't take phone calls." The way she was speaking was beginning to irk me.

"Well why? Is he at a meeting or something?" I was becoming scared. For some reason I felt uneasy.

"No."

Really Sarah, really!

"Well why can't he take my call? Tell him it's Theodore his cousin."

"Toby is unconscious Theodore, he's in a coma."

And she dropped the bombshell on me.

"What!" I managed to say. Coma? Toby was in a Coma? How come?

My heart beat sped up and it felt as though my heart was going to fall right out of my chest into my hands. "What happened?"

"I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with him but I'm aware it's a terminal disease and he has only fifty percent chance of survival." Her voice was breaking, she was sobbing.

My heart sank.

Terminal disease, fifty percent chance of survival.

Oh no!

How could I not have known? Oh wait, I would have known and probably done something to avoid this deterioration but I ignored it because of my selfishness.