The Boy with a Mask

Tw: blood

5 years ago

It was a freezing cold December night. I was only 16, at the time, roaming the forest near where I had been camping, with nothing to keep me busy but my thoughts. Then I heard it.

3rd Person POV

It was out of nowhere. A piercing scream. Blaze's head shot up from the rock she'd been admiring, and she turned around in circles, trying desperately to find the source. It sounded like a man's voice, but that's about all she could tell. The girl ran North, thinking that's where it was coming from. Once another scream came, she changed her direction to Northwest. Blaze knew she was growing closer, so she pulled out a dagger. That's when she saw him.

A teenager, not much older than her. His golden blonde brown locks and tall figure leaned against a tree. She looked at his outfit. A green sweatshirt and plain black cargo pants. He looked like a child, lying there. Next to him was a large sword stained with blood. Then her eyes focused on the wound he was screaming about. Blood was seeping out of his stomach, staining the sweatshirt. His eyes were closed, but by some miracle he was still breathing. She stared in complete and utter shock. His eyes suddenly opened, and he let out some coughs. Blood splattered everywhere, staining my boots.

'Better to put him out of his misery', a voice in her head spoke. She took three steps towards him, making him take notice of the teen girl standing there. Of course she scared him, much less because of the dagger she held. She was wearing a red cloak that fell to her knees, a red sweater, and black pants. Her mouth and nose were covered with a red mask, but he could see her greenish-hazel eyes shining in the starlight. Her deep brown curls peaked out of the hood, and she stood with a dagger clasped between her fingers. He still looked into her eyes pleadingly.

"Please," He begged, "Help me." His voice was low and pained. A pang of guilt swept through her head. She tried to recite what Dante had taught her about mending wounds, but all that came up was what he had told her to remember. 'Never let your emotions guide your better judgement.'

This time, however, her better judgement was telling her to help this poor fellow.

She slid the dagger back into her pocket and shuffled around in her bag, pulling out an ender chest, which Blaze proceeded to place. The man stared in fear. This girl held all power over him, how would she use it? The brunette dug around in the chest, proceeding to pull out a pink potion and some bandages. She kept her mask on, not wanting to reveal her identity to this strange mystery boy. Now, with careful hands, she examined the wound. It was a bloody mess, and if the bleeding didn't stop soon he would die. She noticed this and quickened her pace. With careful hands, the girl rolled up his sweatshirt and began to wrap a bandage around the wound. The boy did nothing but stare into her breathtaking eyes, which were fixated on the wound. When she finished wrapping it, she moved her gaze to the bottle she held, slowly unscrewing it.

"Who are you?" The boy asked in a quiet, somewhat fearful voice. It wasn't normal for him to be afraid, but this entire day had traumatized him. Blaze looked up, a cold but still somewhat sympathetic stare.

"That's none of your business." She said just as quietly, but with a more harsh tone. Then she pushed the bottle towards his mouth. Although the boy didn't recognize the substance, he was desperate. He gulped it down and she held it up to his lips. When it was empty, she shoved it back into the ender chest along with the remaining bandages, putting it back in her bag. The boy felt the pain slowly fading in his wound. Blaze stood up, gathering herself.

"Thank you." The boy said, stunned at the events that had just occurred. Blaze the noticed something gleaming a few feet away. She took five quick steps and picked it up.

A mask. Literally, a mask. It was painted a perfect bright white and the most eye-catching thing was the deep black smiley face. A perfect and clean paint job.

"Is this yours?" She asked, looking at the boy. His eyes widened, and he nodded rapidly. She thought for a moment about taking it, but the look on the boy's face suggested it meant a lot to him. She stuck it out to him, and he slowly took it. Then she nodded in satisfaction and turned to leave.

"Wait," The boy said. She turned. His face was brighter, signifying that the healing potion was already kicking in.

"Will I ever see you again?" The question caught the girl by surprise. She froze for a second, then gathered herself.

"Doubtful." She said plainly, and it was true. A long pause. Not quite awkward, more suspenseful.

"Thank you." He said again. The wind suddenly picked up, making Blaze's mask loosen on her face. It fell down, revealing the rest of her mouth. The boy only got one glance before she pulled it back up, but he caught a glimpse of her soft freckles and thin pursed lips. She really was beautiful. He took one last glance at her before she disappeared into the night. Her body faded into the trees, and suddenly the girl was nothing more than a mere memory to him.

Somehow, in an unknown way this helped her pick up her life once again. Blaze didn't roam randomly, this time she had a purpose.

To find L'Manberg.

A/N

Thank you so much for 40 reads! A lot of foreshadowing in this chapter :)

Have a great weekend!

Word count: 985