A Promotion

Tw: language

The cottage came into view. I threw my stuff in a heap by the door and made my way to L'Manberg. All I had on me was the weapons I had picked out earlier this morning. The drawbridge came into view. I opened the gate and went inside. My watch read 8:47. The boys had to be awake by now. Fundy was assisting Eret as they built a campfire. I approached them.

"Morning," Fundy greeted me.

"Good morning. Do you know where the boys are?" I asked.

"Still asleep." Fundy said. I groaned, tipping my head back. This got a laugh from Fundy. I looked at Eret, who was being very quiet. He stared at the ground obviously deep in thought. Now I looked over to Fundy, questioning him. He shrugged his shoulders up and down. I nodded.

"Well, see you all later," I said quietly, walking towards the eating area.

Something was up with Eret, and I intended to find out what.

Niki greeted me in the kitchen with a smile. I had grown closer to her over the years, we had a pleasant friendship.

"Good morning Blaze!" She said happily, her voice lighting up the room, as always.

"Morning Nik." I used my nickname for her.

"Anything in particular you'd like to eat?" I shook my head.

"I'm not hungry, I just wanted to talk." She beamed again.

"Sure, what about?" She asked, leaning against the counter. I took a seat in a booth and opened my mouth to speak...

But nothing came out.

I desperately wanted to tell her everything about the mysterious man from the woods and how I already knew him. I also wanted to know what Dream looked like, curious from the earlier conversation with the mystery man. Still, nothing came out. I forced a smile and searched for anything else to say.

"I'm suspicious of Eret." I said quickly and quietly. Her eyebrows furrowed and she cocked her head. Why, of all things, I said that? Now I knew I had to continue. "He's just been acting differently... and I don't know if it's a good difference."

"War changes people, darling." Niki smiled warmly at me and began to roll out some dough.

"I know Nik, but he just seems off." A long pause. "You think I'm paranoid, don't you?" She glanced up and looked guilty.

"No, of course not." She excused herself. "You're just skeptical, that's all." I nodded in agreement. The door suddenly flew open, slamming into the walls.

"What is up!" Tommy screamed. I jumped and turned to him. "Oh my god, I'm surrounded by women." Tommy said.

"Your dream." Tubbo put his hands up, mocking Tommy. I laughed.

"Hey!" Tommy said, frowning. Tubbo rubbed the sleep out of his brown eyes. "Blaze, before we go I left my bandana at your house." I gave him a look.

"You're joking." I sighed, getting out my key. I handed it to him.

"Thank you," he made a face. "Bitch-girl." Then he ran out. I laughed again.

"We'll be ready for the flowers at 11!" Tubbo called as he followed Tommy.

My relationship with those boys is one of the strongest bonds I have here, followed by my friendship with Wilbur. Tommy and Tubbo are like my younger brothers. I mess with them all the time, but still I grow very defensive when they get hurt or go into battle.

"Blaze?" I heard a voice call from behind me. I turned to see Wilbur. "Can I see you in my office?" I smirked at him, but he looked somewhat serious. I nodded slowly. "Hello Niki." He nodded to Niki. She smiled. Just like that he was gone. I looked at Niki, who giggled.

"I'm suddenly becoming important." I stood up and followed him out the door.

"Good luck!" Niki called from behind me, giving me a big thumbs up. Wilbur must've already arrived in his office, because he was nowhere in sight. All I could see was Wilbur and Fundy sitting on a ledge. I turned and made my way to Will's office.

Will and I have a very good but confusing relationship. We are always kind to each other of course, but sometimes we... kinda... sorta...

Flirt?

Backtrack, rewind, pretend you didn't just read that. HE flirts with ME, not the other way around. I am not a very flirtatious person, which you may have already figured out. He really is wonderful to be around, besides that.

I made my way up the flight of stairs that lead to the dark oak door. Now I pushed it open, seeing Wilbur sitting in his chair. He looked up at me from the document he had been writing on. Now he pushed that aside, I sat down on the chair in front of him.

"Hello gorgeous." See? This is what I'm talking about!!!

"Hi Will." I said, shoving off the nickname. He didn't flinch, but instead stared at me.

"Remember that one time I told you not to fight because we would desperately need you later?" He got straight to the point. This surprised me immensely, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Vaguely." I gave him a straight answer. He nodded.

"I think it is the time for operation later." I scoffed, still lost in the conversation. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the desk. "I need you to help us win this war."

My eyes widened slightly. This is not what I was expecting to hear today, of all days. He stared expectantly.

"Will you do it?"

"Of course, Will." I spoke quickly. "I'm just... surprised that's all."

"Surprised? Why?" He asked. "You knew sooner or later we were going to need you to pick us up off the ground."

"I didn't know we were on the ground." Will glanced down. I did too, following his gaze.

"We really need you, Blaze." He said softly. I saw the dedication in his eyes.

"I'll be ready whenever you need me." I told him. Then I looked at the clock, which read 5 minutes to 11:00. "I need to go, but I'll be around." Wilbur nodded.

"Thank you for your time." He looked me in the eyes, but there was a difference in our expressions.

Mine was full of friendship.

His was full of love.

I got out of there before he could say anything else, left with the thoughts of how he had been looking at me that way for years, but I had never noticed it quite like that.

A/N

Well... yeah.

Thank you all SO MUCH for 130 reads! The support is amazing!

I honestly love re-reading these chapters, some of which I wrote months ago, and going "ohhh, I remember writing that."

Have a good day everyone!

Word count: 1127