Part nineteen

THAT SUNDAY, for Draco had been just as tough as Annelisse. As soon as he got up, everything that had happened last night came back to his mind, reviewing every moment. After a shower, hoping to feel better — which was useless — and a couple of coffees, they'd managed to deal with the hangover from the night before.

He had called Daphne to spend the day together at home, like they used to do on Sundays and cook a meal for them.  Draco had already started preparing the house and some ingredients for what he would cook that day.

The noise of the doorbell distracted him from his job and he went to open it.  When he did so, he saw Daphne and smiled at her just before placing a kiss on her lips "You didn't reply to my message last night, I was worried."  He said as she entered the house.

"Sorry, as soon as I arrived I fell asleep and since I knew we would meet today, I did not respond."  She lied.

She had been up late last night talking to Albert, with who turned out to become good friends perhaps because of what they had the most in common: being in love with the wrong person. 

They talked about the two of them, about the fact that as much as they wanted it, it was clear what was happening between Draco and Annelisse, and there was nothing they could do to prevent it.

That talk with Albert was good for Daphne, since thanks to him she understood everything, that neither of them were the destined ones.  They had been essential in the life of the other, but neither of them had that role they wanted so much to have.

"It's okay, did you get home well?"  He asked as they walked towards the kitchen.

"Yes, Albert is really nice."  She smiled.  Draco poured both of them a glass of wine and continued to cook.

"We were there until three, then I took everyone home. Blaise was almost wasted."  Draco explained with a laugh, something that seemed strange to Daphne.  He saw Draco differently, happier than usual and she liked that, realizing in turn that it was due to Annelisse.

"I'm glad you guys had a good time."  She said leaning on the counter next to Draco, watching what he was doing.

"It's almost done, ten minutes and voilà, risotto."  Draco commented.

So it was. Ten minutes later and a glass of wine, the couple sat down to enjoy their food.  They barely spoke although they enjoyed it, they used to be like that, spent Sunday calm, relaxed, not doing much, just enjoying each other.

Daphne during the meal, thought about how to do it, how to say it.  She did not want to, but she knew it was the best for both of them, especially for her, so as not to hurt herself.  It gnawed inside her, undecided when to do it.

After the meal, they both cleared the table as usual, cleaned everything and had another drink as they used to.  She felt like it was burning inside of her at this point.  Annelisse Haunt in just one night had been able to make Draco happy, cheerful, and although she felt a certain envy, she understood perfectly why.

Draco would always love Annelisse and as Albert had said, fate would rejoin their paths sooner or later because a love like theirs could not ever die.

So then, she made the big, still unsure, decision "Draco—we need to talk."  She said and took a deep breath before continuing.

He was looking at her confused, not understanding anything at all "Daph, if this is because of last night, if at some point I have made you feel bad, I—" he said approaching her.

"Draco, stop."  She sighed "You haven't done anything wrong, okay? It's just— it's time to come to terms with the truths, the facts."

"What do you mean, what are you talking about?"

"About you—about Annelisse."

"What she has to do with—"

"A lot, Draco. Listen to me first, please."  Daphne ran her hand through her hair, sinking the fingers through it. "I'm happy that you're with me. I'm happy that you're trying hard on us, that you're trying to make this work. I'm happy with how much you've accomplished but— I'm not happy because you're not. With this.

He did not speak, being totally stunned by those words, so she continued.

"It is not just a fact that you are still in love with Annelisse, it's a reality and anyone with two eyes could see it."  She moved closer to him, laying her hands on his chest "I'm not angry at all. I just can't see you trying to be happy with something that isn't what your heart wants."

"Daphne, I..." He tried to speak.

"You and I — it can't go on. I don't want to see you suffer daily for not being with who you want." Daphne said almost on the verge of tears, showing it in her voice.

"I, I don't know what to say, Daphne, what are you saying—"

"Don't say anything, just accept it. I want to be your friend, everyone's. I don't want to disappear, but as you understand, I need time. And you too. And fix your situation with her and stop your stupid things, both."  She frowned.

Draco laughed nervously. "It's not easy how you put it all together, Daphne."

"Yes it is. If I understood something thanks to a friend last night, it's that I cannot put my happiness before yours and that is why I am here telling you all this, because you more than anyone deserve to be happy."  She caressed Draco's face tenderly, smiling at him "Allow yourself to be happy."

To which Draco hugged her tightly, feeling overwhelmed at the moment. Even though he knew Daphne was right, she had been someone important in his life, someone who helped him believe that living was worth living after all.

When Daphne parted from Draco, smiled at him "Just—fight, okay?" She said in a whisper just before giving one last and deep kiss to Draco on the lips as a goodbye with tears in her eyes.