Arc 1: Chapter 1: Childe's job

Childe had always thought life was beautiful, however, it's been a little less beautiful the past few days. His entire body ached more than ever from the previous fights and he had more work because people were taking the chance to run from their debts amidst the chaos after the resurrection of Osial.

He finished lunch quickly and decided to take a stroll around the wharf, just to have a look around. Childe stared at the calm, shimmering sea water and breathed in the salty air. Liyue was a really beautiful place. A part of him was really glad that the Traveller had managed to save it from Osial. The other part of him resented it because it meant he'd have to stay in Liyue.

"Ah-" Childe hissed in pain when he twisted his body a little too much. While the small wounds had pretty much recovered fully, the larger ones around his torso had not. Foul Legacy Transformation took a lot out of him, it seemed to slowly eat him the longer he used it, drawing blood as fuel to sustain the form. Under his typical grey outfit where dozens of slashes and puncture wounds, as if a giant bear had used him as a toy.

Sighing quietly, he carefully readjusted himself as the pained gradually dulled away. His attention was drawn to a new stall that wasn't there the previous day. Childe noticed that it sold alcohol and it immediately interested him.

"Guaranteed to knock you out in just a few sips!" The stall owner shouted.

Childe thought about buying some and placing them at home but a figure in familiar clothing was running straight at him.

Oh great, more work.

"Childe! My apologies, but we need you!" The fatui diplomat said in a hushed tone, panting softly as he slowed down to a stop next to Childe. He recognized him as Vlad, the guard outside of Northland Bank.

"You do know it's my lunch time now, right?" Childe asked, his voice tinged with mild annoyance. "What is it?"

"It is that old man Tang. He's trying to escape and hired some treasure hoarders as bodyguards." Vlad explained quickly.

"Treasure hoarders? What can those useless assholes do?" As far as Childe knew, those criminals was nothing more than a bunch of unorganised fools.

"I don't know, they seem to be able to counter our fatui skirmishers."

Childe squinted at Vlad with an eyebrow raised. How in the world— He decided that he wouldn't question it now. Best to check what was going on. "Alright, where are they?"

"Dun-Dunyu Ruins, sir." Vlad seemed to recoil slightly at the expression on Childe's face. It was needless to say that he was irritated and pissed.

"What the fuck have you people been doing? Gods." He asked scowling.

"I-I'm sorry sir."

"Agh, whatever. Lead me to where they are." Childe waved aside the apology. He figured it wasn't Vlad's fault so he didn't have any reason to scold the poor guy. He was probably sent over as a messenger since he was only a mere guard.

-

Arriving on a cliff near the ruins, it didn't take long for Childe to notice the fight on the poorly maintained dirt road. He could recognize his fatui skirmishers and they certainly didn't seem to be doing so well. The treasure hoarders seemed to have a specific formation as well, the front liners stayed within their area to keep the fatui from taking out their potioneers. Behind the treasure hoarders, he spotted a rather intricate carriage with red and gold designs. One with a rational mind would probably opt for a more low key carriage but this guy decided otherwise. Either he was too stupid or too cocky. No matter which it was, it will be his downfall. From behind the cloth that hid the carriage's occupant, a middle aged man peeked his head out. The man had a balding patch and a very obvious double chin. His eyes were small and beady and he had a very unpleasant expression on his face. Childe recognized him as Tang. Looking at how the way things were, the old man probably had the money to pay off his debt, he just didn't want to.