Arc 1: Chapter 8: Lantern Rite

"This is unlike you, Zhongli."

"Is it?"

"You never let us stay out after the sun sets."

"That was because I wanted to make sure you didn't get sick again," Zhongli replied, making sure his basket containing something was covered up properly.

The two grew closer and more comfortable with each other, but at the same time, the day where Tartaglia was going to leave drew closer. Childe had never thought that he'd be reluctant to leave. The days he spent with Zhongli was wonderful and he wanted more. He looked forward to meeting the Ex-Archon more in future and had almost forgotten about what he had done in the past.

"Why are we hiking up Mount Tianheng? It's difficult to walk in this, you know." Childe complained as he almost tripped on his flowy hanfu.

"I'll carry you," Zhongli said. Without saying another word, he grabbed Tartaglia and carried him like a sack of potatoes.

"Not like that!"

"No?" Zhongli put him back down before picking him up again, bridal style this time.

"Wait— What— No!" Childe stammered, flustered by the position he was just put in.

"I assumed you wanted a more comfortable position."

"Yes but—"

"Then what is there to complain about?" Zhongli asked.

Tartaglia struggled to say anything and gave in. "I swear if you tell anyone about this..." He muttered.

"Why not? I'm just carrying my wife." Zhongli said, his lips curved upwards in a playful smile.

"You—"

"Me?" Zhongli asked, still grinning playfully.

Childe made an incomprehensible noise and gave up.

Just before they reached the peak of the mountain, Zhongli stopped. "Close your eyes." He said as he gently placed Childe down.

"What? Why?"

"Trust me."

Tartaglia eyed the man suspiciously. Trust was not something he could do easily. Too many incidents and reasons had taught him not to trust easily. For a fleeting moment, he remembered how Zhongli had manipulated him. But he had already proven himself trustworthy over the past few days, right? "I swear. If you ditch me, I'm never forgiving you." He said as he closed his eyes.

"I won't." Zhongli placed his hands on Tartaglia's shoulders, guiding him up the mountain, eventually reaching the peak.

Childe thought about peeking, but he didn't want to spoil the surprise or anything.

"Wait here," Zhongli said quietly before letting go. Tartaglia nodded, wondering just what Zhongli was planning.

"Open your eyes."

Excited, he opened his eyes to a wooden table set up nicely underneath a tree with seelies placed in bottles as a source of warm light. On the table, there were a few plates of local Liyue delicacies and jars of alcohol from the new shop he saw at the wharf. An assortment of native Liyue flowers was used for decoration and the scenery from where they stood was beautiful.

"You set this up? I— Why?"

"I thought we'd celebrate your recovery and your first Lantern Rite Festival." Zhongli said, "you weren't able to taste the local foods so I brought some up here for you. You can take off the face veil."

Tartaglia could feel his face heating and he couldn't stop smiling. He didn't think Zhongli would do something like this. It was so romantic. He tried to get his blushing under control as he took off the piece of cloth that concealed his identity.