Arc 1: Chapter 9: Guizhong

An hour or so later, Childe was starting to feel a little tipsy. Two empty jars sat next to their tables and another two half-filled jars were on the table. He was frankly quite surprised that Zhongli showed no signs of getting drunk. No blush, no swaying, nothing. At this rate, Childe was going to get drunk before Zhongli did.

"Eh, how are you not feeling anything yet?" Tartaglia asked.

"I... think I am."

Childe blinked. Did Zhongli just slur?

"Really?"

"Yes..."

Tartaglia could barely hold in his laughter. It was funny to hear the always calm and composed Zhongli slurring. Still, he didn't seem drunk enough.

"You seem fine though. You should drink more."

Zhongli stared at his jar quietly, then obediently picked it up and chugged down almost everything that was left inside. Tartaglia grinned, cheering when Zhongli put down his jar. "Wow, you're going full steam ahead."

Childe drank some too, but not too much. He had to see drunk Zhongli before he got drunk as well.

Then he noticed Zhongli swaying slightly before he leant against the table, using his arm to prop his head up. Zhongli was so drunk.

"Zhongli? Are you drunk?" Tartaglia asked.

"Mm, no." He replied only a few seconds later.

"Yes, you are."

"No." He said defiantly, shaking his head.

"That's what a drunk person would say."

"... So I should say yes?" He asked, frowning like he was trying to solve an immensely difficult mathematical problem.

"Mmhm."

"Then... yes."

"See, you've admitted it!" Tartaglia laughed. If Zhongli fell for that, he was definitely drunk.

Zhongli looked at him with what looked like a betrayed expression. He muttered something incomprehensible before sinking his head into his arms on the table, just looking at Childe with his half-lidded amber eyes.

"Zhongli, stand up."

"...mm." He hummed, using the table as a support to stand up.

Tartaglia was surprised that Zhongli actually obeyed him. "Turn around." He tried again.

Zhongli obeyed him again, turning around clumsily.

Childe grinned. He didn't know Zhongli was the obedient drunk type. Things were certainly going to be fun.

"Touch your toes!"

"Untie your hair!"

"Lick your nose!"

Zhongli obeyed each command quietly or at least tried to. He couldn't lick his nose. Tartaglia sniggered as Zhongli squirmed around, trying to extend his tongue as long as he could.

"Alright, stop it, dummy. Your tongue isn't long enough." Tartaglia said laughing.

Zhongli pouted and Childe gasped quietly. He didn't know Zhongli could pout. Tartaglia loved this side of Zhongli. He found it amusing and adorable.

Then Zhongli made an expression like a light bulb just clicked in his head. He stuck his tongue out, but this time, it was a forked tongue and much longer than an average human being. Just like that, he licked his nose. Childe stared, a little shocked, then laughed in surprise. Who knew Zhongli had that trick up his sleeve?

"Show me your powers."

Zhongli stared at him, as if hesitant.

"Please?" Tartaglia put on his puppy eyes, hoping that Zhongli would give in.

It seemed to do the trick. Zhongli wobbled away from the table. He extended his arms clumsily, and because he couldn't really concentrate, his pillar burst out from below him, catapulting him up into the air.

"ZHONGLI!" Tartaglia yelled. He dropped his jar of wine and got up, running over to catch the falling Geo Archon. Zhongli didn't seem to realize what was happening and ended up falling straight onto the poor harbinger, sending them both onto the floor.

Groaning quietly, Childe looked up to see Zhongli safely on his body. That was fine. "You're heavy." He groaned.

"I'm the geo archon after all." Zhongli slurred, propping himself up by placing a hand on each side of Childe's head. He admired Tartaglia underneath with his half-lidded eyes. Tartaglia's face grew warm from how close they were. Just a little bit and they would kiss.

"Close your eyes." It was Zhongli's turn to issue out orders.

Raising an eyebrow, Tartaglia gave in, closing his eyes, wondering what was next.

Then he felt a pair of warm lips against his own. His eyes snapped open in surprise and saw Zhongli kissing him. His heart rate skyrocketed as his mind failed to comprehend what was happening. He should have pushed him away, but he didn't want to. It was okay. Tartaglia melted into the kiss, his eyes fluttering close.

Zhongli pulled away, looking at Childe with a different light in his eyes. He leant back down for another and another each time they caught their breaths.

Tartaglia always thought he'd top, but he could barely even keep up with Zhongli.

"W—Wait, Zhongli..." He stuttered, his lips slightly red from the kissing. "We shouldn't..."

"... Why not?"

"It's just..."

"Your body is telling me you want it..." Zhongli said quietly. "Just let go. It'll be fine."

Tartaglia fell silent, still hesitant. The little self-control he had was slowly seeping away.

"I love you..."

Then he heard something that made his eyes widen. Something that made his heartbreak. Something that had hurt him like nothing before in his entire life. Tartaglia shoved Zhongli away, anything he felt for the man vanished in that instant. He should have trusted his instincts, his worries. Childe scrambled onto his feet, pulling off the stupid wig he had to wear.

"You fucking asshole!" He hissed. "I'm not her, okay? I'm not that weak girl that can't fucking take care of herself. That can't fucking fight for shit. Open your eyes. I'm not Guizhong."

He could feel a lump swelling in his throat as he struggled to keep his tears from falling. Childe felt so angry and regretted letting his guard down. Above all, he just felt sad and betrayed. He should have known that Zhongli wouldn't have liked him for who he was. Childe was a fatui harbinger. Zhongli was the Geo Archon Liyue. They weren't meant to be. Tartaglia should have known.

"... Tartaglia..." Zhongli said quietly, realizing his grave mistake. How could have he mistaken the two?

"Don't you fucking Tartaglia me! Listen well, asshole. My name is Childe." Childe said roughly, "the 11th Fatui Harbinger. I am going to become stronger than anything and I will slay the gods one day. I should have known that you were just trying to make up for that stupid girlfriend you couldn't bloody protect. Dick. Don't you dare let me see your face again."

He threw the wig on the floor and ran off. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he was unable to hold them back for any longer. Childe's guard was back up, higher than never before. He had learnt his lesson.

A/N here we go :>