Arc 3: Chapter 32: Just a little Comfort

Zhongli had been rather distracted ever since Tartaglia told him what happened. He couldn't think of a solution but he didn't want to give up either. Every time he'd just stare sadly at Childe when he wasn't looking, wondering how he could fix this.

Mid way through searching for the third shard, they found another abandoned campsite and found a map of Dragonspine. It wasn't complete but had some information that proved useful. There was a clearing with an untidy scrawl that said 'Puzzle??' Naturally, they had to check the place out. So far, both shards had some sort of puzzle.

They found the location in no time and solved the puzzle. Both of them were a little more prepared for what might come because two ruin guards and one ruin grader were already sitting there, just waiting for activation. Yet no matter how intense the battle was, Zhongli simply couldn't stop thinking. Think about Childe, both of them and how to fix things. Until that night when they set up camp, he decided to try to talk.

"Tartaglia." He started.

Childe paused from cleaning his bow but didn't look at Zhongli. He had become much colder to Zhongli ever since the conversation he had, but he never took back his scarf.

Zhongli took that as a signal that he was listening and continued on. "I was thinking we could fix things."

Tartaglia raised an eyebrow, "how."

"I don't know how yet, but—"

"Then there's no point." Childe said blankly.

Zhongli paused, looking back at Childe who had resumed cleaning his bow. He could feel his blood boiling, frustrated and upset at how fast he was dismissing the whole matter. "Answer me this. Do you want to fix things? Do you want us together?"

"No." He said lowly, yet he nodded his head ever so slightly.

Zhongli felt like was about to explode. He was going to start yelling but he took a deep breath to calm himself and keep his composure. He remembered how he had made Childe cry from pressuring him too hard the last time and it was the last thing he wanted to do. Zhongli could tell that whatever happened was not Tartaglia's fault. Instead, he sighed quietly, walking over to Childe and gently taking his hand. Tartaglia stiffened up but he ignored it.

"Why are you lying?" He asked quietly. "Can you tell me that?"

Childe shook his head, his eyes still glued on his bow, refusing to look at Zhongli.

Zhongli sighed again. He hadn't expected Childe to answer the question but he still couldn't help but feel disappointed.

"I don't know what has been going on on your side but just understand that no matter what, I'll be here for you." He said. Perhaps he could tell Tartaglia how he felt truthfully. Zhongli didn't know how it might change things but at least it might clear things up a little. Now neither of them were being honest and one of them had to step up and do it first. "Honestly, I haven't gotten over it. I still really care about you, Tartaglia. More than anything else and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help and protect you. As long as you're okay with it."

Tartaglia didn't respond. He sat there quietly, his hand stiff in Zhongli's grasp. He was hoping from some sort of reaction but Childe remained motionless, like a stone statue. "Since we're here already, only us, if you want some comfort or anything without saying anything, I'm here too."

There still wasn't a reaction from Tartaglia and Zhongli ended it there, falling silent. He couldn't see Childe's expression and didn't try to see it either. Whatever he was thinking about, he was going to leave him to it. Zhongli figured there was no point being nosy when it was just going to end up as a disaster. He'd ask later.

Childe was barely holding back his tears. The guilt in his heart made his chest tighten so badly. He could feel a lump swelling in his throat as he kept himself from crying. Why did Zhongli still have to say this sort of thing after everything Childe had done to him? Why couldn't he hate him. At least it'd make Tartaglia feel less guilty. No matter how much he wanted to tell Zhongli he was sorry and he loved him, he couldn't. Especially not now, when they would have to fight over something in the near future. But he did say that he'd give him some sort of comfort without having him explain anything, right? Tartaglia would like nothing more than to be held by Zhongli. Truthfully, he hadn't gotten over it either.

He tilted his body slightly and leant against Zhongli. He rested his head on his shoulder in a way where he couldn't see Childe's face.

Well Zhongli hadn't expected that but he was fine with it. He wasn't sure what Tartaglia would be comfortable with so he only scooted a little closer and placed an arm around his shoulder.

They both remained silent. The only thing that could be heard was the howling of the wind and the fire crackling at the campsite. Yet the quietness felt a little less tense compared to before. There was a faint hint of sadness and longing for each other but neither of them said anything. This was as much as they could go. Childe couldn't risk getting any closer and Zhongli didn't want to be pushy.

For a couple hours, it remained that way up until Tartaglia nuzzled gently against Zhongli. Surprised, he turned down to find Childe already asleep. Zhongli softened. He had missed the time where Tartaglia would insist on staying at his place for the night and cuddling with him. It seemed that habit hadn't changed.

Zhongli carefully picked Tartaglia up and placed him carefully on a sleeping bag they found. Zhongli laid down on the ground next to him because there was only one and just watched him quietly. He watched the way he breathed, inhaling slowly then exhaling in a little puff. Zhongli reached out and fiddled with Childe's fluffy fringe, longing to be able to hug him and kiss him. He realized that Tartaglia's mask was still strapped on and carefully took it off. He figured it couldn't be comfortable to be sleeping with that on.

He sighed softly, simply watching Childe, taking in every little detail of him. Zhongli loved everything about him. Well, almost everything. If Tartaglia could accept help more often, he'd be absolutely perfect for Zhongli. But either way, Zhongli would still do his best to help, he'd keep trying no matter what happened. Zhongli would keep doing his best up until he breathed his last breath because he loved him so deeply that there was no turning back.