Arc 2: Chapter 25: Happily Ever After

Tartaglia was naturally horrified the next morning when he woke up in Zhongli's arms. They were both completely naked and definitely smelled like they had sex. What was he thinking letting a Zhongli that was half out of his mind and drunk as hell fuck him? Zhongli was completely out, snoring softly on his bed. He hurried to change his clothes and cover up the love marks all over him with make up.

Just as he was about to rush out, he paused and turned to see Zhongli cuddling the pillow that Childe had been sleeping on previously. His heart softened a little and he went over, gently brushing Zhongli's hair aside. He remembered what they both had said but he still wasn't convinced that this was how Zhongli truly felt. Childe didn't dare believe. And even if he did, he couldn't do anything about it. The wedding was only a few hours away and he had to do his job.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly, his voice filled with guilt. "Forgive me for letting it happen. I'm sorry but I can't call it off."

-

He continued on with the wedding. He met his parents-in-law and did everything that was planned. His own family had arrived too and he was more than happy to see them, yet his heart still aches whenever he was reminded of Zhongli. Childe said nothing of it and smiled as happily and genuinely as he could. He didn't want anyone to worry or find out something was wrong.

The day progressed on and Zhongli was nowhere to be found. Childe knew that he should feel relieved that he wasn't around so he wouldn't have to face him but he also couldn't help but hope he would come. Maybe he was being honest the previous night. But then he realized that it was for the best. They didn't belong together after all. Childe had tried to destroy Liyue, the city Zhongli had spent a few millennia building.

The ceremony was brought forward to late afternoon in order to allow Irina's mother to rest early. Tartaglia stood on the stage in his red hanfu, waiting for his bride to enter the wedding hall. He knew he should be excited and all but all he felt was dread. His heart was making things very difficult for his mind.

The lights dimmed and the doors opened. A woman in a red and gold robes strutted in slowly with her mother by her side. Flower girls tossed petals behind her dramatically. She kept her head down and a piece of red cloth concealed her identity but pretty much everyone knew it was Irina. It had to be Irina, who else could it possibly be?

Tartaglia frowned slightly, he was fairly sure Irina wasn't that tall but then he realized that girls wore heels. And they wore really tall ones that looked like it could stab someone on special occasions. He shrugged it off, smiling as widely as his painful cheeks as she made her way over. Irina's mother let go just before she had to make her way up the stage.

She stood before the harbinger with her head low, waiting quietly to be unveiled. Tartaglia took a deep breath and held two corners of the cloth, slowly lifting them up. He had not expected what he was going to see next. A pair of amber eyes stared straight back at him, the hair that was bunned up was brown, not blond. Childe gasped along with everyone in the hall, even Signora seemed a little startled. He took a few steps back, gaping at Zhongli.

"What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be here—"

"Tartaglia." Zhongli interrupted, taking a few steps forwards and cupping his cheeks. "Call off the wedding."

"I can't call off the wedding! You already crashed it! Besides I'm—" He started agitatedly. Yet somewhere deep in him, he felt relieved.

"Ajax." His family stirred, clearly shocked to hear someone else call Tartaglia by his real name.

Childe paused, looking at Zhongli and searching his eyes. It seemed as though he already knew. He already knew that the relationship was not real. Everything was just an act. He dropped the act, his expression turning sad. "You know?" He asked softly, his voice barely a whisper.