Arc 1: Chapter 7: Assignment

Late one evening, sharp knocking in Zhongli's door could be heard. Tartaglia fell silent, wondering who it could be looking for Zhongli so late.

Catching each other's eyes, they knew what to do. Tartaglia went to hide in the kitchen while Zhongli answered the door.

Once he was sure that Childe was hidden properly, he pulled open the door to see a fatui agent at the door. Slightly confused, he was worried that perhaps the fatui had somehow learnt that Childe was actually at his place.

"Apologies for the late disturbance, but I heard that you will be collecting anything regarding Childe's assignment." The agent spoke, holding out a letter, "please hand this to him when he returns."

"Yes, I am. What is it that's so urgent?" Zhongli asked.

The agent hesitated, as if unsure if he should talk about it or not.

"You do know my relation with Childe." Zhongli continued. He was still Childe's consultant as far as the fatui knew.

"Indeed. There is a man that took out a large loan for business. We suspect that he may be using the loan for other… things "

"Who is it?"

The agent hesitated again, reluctant to share more details. But under the Ex-Archons stare, he gave in. "Li Wei. I should get going now. Have a good night."

"Same to you too," Zhongli said, nodding slightly. He closed the door behind him and turned around to see Childe already walking over to him.

"An assignment huh. Give me the letter."

"No."

"What?"

Zhongli wasn't going to let Tartaglia hound the poor man for money. He knew Li Wei, the man was a good person trying to afford his wife's medical treatment. Still, Zhongli had already given the man some money so he didn't understand why he needed more. Perhaps it wasn't enough. "Promise me something."

"Promise? It's my work, just give it to me." Childe said, trying to grab the letter. Zhongli raised his arm up, doing this best to keep it out of his reach.

"Promise me you'll negotiate a fair deal with him. Take into consideration his condition. No violence." 

"What, why? Do you know him?"

"Yes, I do."

Tartaglia paused, tilting his head slightly. Then he realized that he was being stupid. Of course, Zhongli knew other people outside his work.

"He's a man desperate to save his wife. He's a good person, don't hurt him." Zhongli continued.

"Alright, alright. Fine." Childe gave in, "I promise I'll try."

Zhongli raised an eyebrow, "alright." He slowly lowered his hand and Tartaglia snatched the letter from him.

Reading quietly, Tartaglia wondered how he was going to make a deal that was 'fair' to the old man. He was broke and earned a minute amount of income. His wife was unemployed and he had no assets apart from his dingy old home in a location that no one would want to live in. He wondered even how the man got the loan.

"What's wrong?" Zhongli asked, sensing that Tartaglia was getting bothered by something.

"Nothing… Just got to scold the person that approved this loan, as well as wonder how the hell I'm going to negotiate a fair deal since he already signed himself to be a slave if he can't cough out the money." Tartaglia said, sighing quietly. Usually, he would just take the man back to Snezhnaya to work, but with his promise to Zhongli…

Then he noticed Zhongli's hard look and worried expression.

"Ah, don't worry. I'll figure out something. Don't like taking slaves anyway." He said quickly, he didn't want to disappoint Zhongli. Childe already made the promise after all.

Zhongli seemed to relax. "Thank you."

"Thank you? I'm not helping you."

"Thank you for listening to me."

Tartaglia grinned, folding the paper up and slipping it back into the envelope. "Do I get anything in return?"

"What do you want?" Zhongli asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I think you already know," Childe said, grinning widely.

"I told you I'd fight you one day when you are fully recovered."

"Oh come on, I'm fine now. See." Tartaglia said, jogging around the living room.

"... No. Until that wound is completely gone, you're not recovered."

Childe sulked, slowing down and eventually stopping in front of Zhongli.

"What else would you want?"

Tartaglia thought about it. What else did he want? He wanted to see his family again, he wanted to be able to go on adventures and he wanted to enjoy battles anytime he wanted. None of this Zhongli could do for him. So he shrugged, "I don't know. Anything you think would be good I guess." He couldn't help but wonder what Zhongli might give him. 

Zhongli looked at him quietly then shuffled over, pulling him into a warm embrace. Stunned, Childe stiffened up. "What are you doing?"

"Giving you a hug."

"What? Why?"

"You told me anything I thought was good would be fine." Zhongli said simply, "I think this is good."

"Yeah but this is really sudden. And random."

"I thought you'd want a little warmth. Don't think you properly had a hug since you entered Liyue." Zhongli said. He had never seen him properly rest and hang out with anyone. Whenever he saw Childe in Liyue, he was always rushing to somewhere to work.

"I mean, now that I think about it, I haven't. You're probably the closest friend I have at this point." Tartaglia allowed himself to relax, gently wrapping his arms around Zhongli's chest. He hadn't realized how much he missed being hugged tightly like that until now. For some reasons, it felt warmer and more comfortable than he remembered. Or was it because it had been so long since he was embraced like that. Then he realized something.

"You haven't either, have you?" He asked softly, resting his chin gently on Zhongli's shoulder.

"... No."

Tartaglia smiled slightly, "then I guess this is for you too."