Arc 4: Chapter 43: Getting Ready

Tartaglia went to search for information and came back rather disgruntledly with another person with him. The person looked just like an ordinary adventurer, perhaps just a little more handsome than the usual. Childe was unhappy that someone had to stick along with them. Irritating. It was supposed to be just him and Zhongli.

Zhongli lit up when he saw Childe coming over and smiled at the stranger. "Ah, who is this?"

"Yong An. You must be Mr Zhongli! I heard a lot about you, pleasure meeting you." The dark haired male said, holding out a hand.

Zhongli shook it firmly, "you too."

"Yeah yeah, whatever." Tartaglia slotted himself in between the two, annoyed by the fact that the two seemed to be getting along decently. "Anyway, this is our guide because the stupid Guild won't let any unauthorised people access information and go on their own."

"You know it's for your own good. I'm here to share my experience and help along the way."

Tartaglia made an ugly face at him and stuck his tongue out. He rolled his eyes, "blah blah. I can take care of myself much better than you."

"Well if you want it so bad then join the Adventurer's Guild."

Tartaglia scowled, "why should I?"

"Unless there's something holding you back? Some problem, maybe?" Yong An said innocently.

Childe, who was already not in a good mood, felt rather threatened. He clenched his fist, his eyes turning deadly as he started to advance on him. Zhongli gently placed a hand on his chest, pushing him back and keeping him in place. The sapphire eyes met the amber ones and Childe deflated. He couldn't risk screwing the thing up by fighting the adventurer. He backed off, sulking away and sitting nearby on a wooden bench.

Zhongli sighed, walking over and sitting down next to him. He wasn't sure why but he felt like it was his 'duty' to try to placate Childe, similar to what a husband would do when their wife's angry. "What's wrong? "

"Nothing." He murmured, crossing his arms and looking away.

"We can always figure it out on our own if that's what you prefer." Zhongli said gently. He was in no hurry since he could pretty much live forever.

"No!" Tartaglia quickly said. Not Zhongli giving up things for him again! "I mean... I don't want to slow the process down. I want you to get back your memories soon."

Zhongli smiled, "thank you. I'll treat you to a meal after all this?"

Tartaglia snorted. He knew full well that he was going to pay for the meal. Either that or he'd be paying for the ingredients of the meal. "No... I just want you to show me around Liyue after all this." He said.

"Alright."

Tartaglia beamed at him, his mood clearly lifted quite a bit. At least he had something to look forward to after all that. He got up, walking back over to the adventurer, who was sort of just awkwardly standing a distance away. Childe didn't seem too happy but at least he stopped being mean. "So? What's our first move?"

"Packing of course! Grab spare clothes, some food and water, sleeping bag, weapons—"

"Yeah yeah, I know what to bring on an adventure. Get to the more useful information. Location? Destination? What are we looking for?" Childe interrupted.

"Oh, right. In the west part of Liyue, monsters were suddenly very aggressive and they seemed to be gathering for something. Not sure what though. It's like a leader of some sort had rallied them up and started to command them or something. Mission is to find out what's going on and resolve it if possible."

Zhongli frowned slightly, his memory was fuzzy but he was sure that something was up there. He couldn't remember in detail but it was something ancient, something old. Perhaps that was the thing he was searching for. Whatever was going on might be linked to that too. It was natural for the monsters to get riled up when exposed to godly energy. "Alright, we'll pack our things and meet tomorrow once the sun comes up."

"Sure! At the north west exit?"

Zhongli nodded and Tartaglia shrugged.

"Then I'll see you two soon!"

-

"Don't you have to go home and pack your things?" Zhongli asked as he pulled out some clothes from his wardrobe.

"Ehh, I'll do it later when I go home." Tartaglia said, sitting on Zhongli's bed and hugging onto Zhongli's pillow. He missed sleeping with him on his bed.

"Well, make sure to get enough sleep. You'll need the energy." Zhongli said, his voice slightly muffled with his head inside the wardrobe, as if looking for something.

"Yeah, I know. What are you looking for?"

His question was answered when Zhongli came out with a familiar red scarf. His eyes widened in surprise, he didn't think that Zhongli would have kept that. Tartaglia wasn't sure what to say so he remained quiet.

Zhongli stared at the unfamiliar scarf, knowing full well it wasn't his. It just wasn't his type of clothing. Yet it was inside his wardrobe, seemingly quite well kept too. Looking at it gave him a warm fuzzy feeling. Thinking back, he was fairly sure he had someone he loved dearly. Perhaps this was one of their belongings. Zhongli placed it over his shoulders for no reason. It just felt right.

Tartaglia's heart fluttered when Zhongli just suddenly decided to wear it though he wasn't sure what the reason was. "Why... why did you put that on?" He asked.

"It reminds me of something... someone. I think it's best to keep it with me." Zhongli replied as he continued folding his clothes.

"Reminds you of someone? That someone must be special. Who is it?" Tartaglia asked, almost like he was trying to give Zhongli a hint.

Zhongli was oblivious to it or maybe he just didn't get what it meant. He only sighed softly, "not sure. I just know that they were someone dear."

Childe tried not to smile too much. Progress was progress after all.