Arc 1: Chapter 4: Taking Care

Zhongli felt bad leaving Childe back at home. He was worried that even though he might not try to escape because of their contract, Childe might do something stupid like going out to enjoy the cold air or something. Childe's immune system was really fragile, just a little bit could cause him to fall sick. As much as he would like to take a leave, he still had his own commitments. Zhongli didn't have much of a choice but to pray quietly that Childe stayed indoors.

He tried his best to return as soon as possible after getting the herbs and medicine from Bubu Pharmacy. Qiqi had said they were really good in healing wounds and strengthening the immune system so Zhongli was hoping it would help Childe.

"Childe? I'm home."

There was no reply, which Zhongli found quite odd. Childe was always extremely talkative. Perhaps he was asleep already?

He quickly made the medicine and brought a bowl with it upstairs to Childe's room. Zhongli knocked twice gently before sliding the door open. "Childe? Are you asleep?"

He opened the door to see a lump underneath the blanket. Zhongli frowned slightly. He could tell something was wrong, he had never seen Childe curled up like that. The harbinger usually slept with his arms and legs splayed out like a starfish. Zhongli knew because he often came around to make sure Childe was sleeping alright. He placed down the bowl of medication aside before gently tapping the lump. "Childe?"

He felt the lump jerk slightly, before the blanket was slowly pulled off. To his shock, he found Childe looking extremely pale.

"Zhongli." He said, managing a smile, "I didn't hear you."

Even his voice lacked the usual cheerfulness and liveliness.

Zhongli didn't respond and pressed his palm on Childe's forehead to find him burning up. The harbinger probably did something stupid, the same way Zhongli hoped that he would not have.

Dammit, he shouldn't have left Childe back at home alone. He should have gotten a babysitter or something.

Zhongli didn't scold him or anything. His first thought was to bring down his temperature so it didn't fry his brain. He grabbed the medication and held it out for Childe. The harbinger slowly brought up his trembling hands to take the bowl, but Zhongli paused. "Would you rather if I fed you." He asked quietly. "It's okay if you want, no need to be embarrassed."

Childe paused, and then nodded. He leant back against the bed frame, as if sitting up was difficult for him.

Zhongli scooped up some of the medicine and blew it gently to cool it down before feeding it to Childe. The harbinger shook his head and recoiled at the bitter taste. Zhongli tried again but Childe just shook his head and kept his mouth shut.

"You have to drink this if you want to get better." He scolded softly.

Childe pouted, "can't I just sleep."

"No." Zhongli said firmly. He noticed how Childe was still looking quite reluctant to drink the medicine, maybe he had to use another method. He hadn't cared for someone like that before.

"I'll show you around Liyue if you drink this, okay?" He offered.

Childe stared, "are you trying to bribe me?"

"I'm trying to persuade you. Let me take care of you and I'll show you around. "

"I... I guess that's fine."

Zhongli immediately thought about a certain place he wanted to bring Childe to. A beautiful spot high up on the mountain near Liyue. It provided quite the view of Liyue, and was probably quite romantic at night. He quickly pushed the thought aside, he was a little embarrassed that it was the first thought he had. They were only friends after all.