Interlude: A Day in Snezhnaya

"Oh it's great to see you again, how have you been?" Irina asked. Childe shared a friendly hug with her, both parties certainly much more comfortable than before.

"It's been really great, Irina. Has things been going on well on your side?"

Irina nodded as she pulled away, "Yeah. I'll have to head back soon though. Thought I'd drop by when I heard you were coming back with Zhongli." She looked at Zhongli and smiled. He too smiled back, nodding his head slightly in acknowledgement.

Then she grabbed Tartaglia's arm and pulled him aside, whispering, "how's progress?"

"What progress?"

"You know... Surely he must be planning something since he's going to properly meet your parents." Irina raised her ring finger, wriggling it in front of Childe. He stared blankly, then it hit him and he went red.

"We— We've only been— It's been—"

Irina snickered at his reaction, gently patting his shoulder. Tartaglia only went even more red at it, falling silent because he knew that it would probably get worse if he said anymore.

After making sure all their luggages were being loaded off the ship, Zhongli came by, placing his arm around Childe's shoulder. Childe made an obvious move to lean in.

"You're blushing." Zhongli said, turning to look at him.

"No I'm not, you are." He turned away, evidently red.

Zhongli gently took his chin and turned Childe's face back so he faced him. Their faces were really close, Tartaglia could feel Zhongli's warm breath against his face. If Childe wasn't blushed previously, he definitely did this time. Zhongli chuckled softly and Tartaglia pulled away, pouting slightly.

"You need to stop teasing me like that."

"Why? It makes you cute."

Tartaglia grumbled something that sounded like "I'm not cute."

Irina could only smile and watch the two lovebirds flirt with each other. She figured she probably should leave the two until—

"Tartaglia! I just heard you were coming back and I made this pie!"

"Tartaglia!—"

"Tartaglia!—"

"Tartaglia!—"

The three of them turned to see a flurry of people, mostly girls, coming over. Childe sighed, it seemed the news had spread. He could only brace himself for the flurry of questions and gifts that came with the people. He had sort of become a celebrity overnight when he had been risen to the rank of a harbinger. Many people came to become friends or just to know him. Girls in his hometown suddenly found him extremely attractive.

Tartaglia really tried to pay attention to everyone that was talking. He was just trying to be polite. He had girls shoving each other aside to hold his arm and people stuffing teddy bears, food, flowers and other gifts into his hand. Zhongli was swiftly pushed aside by the crowd and they surrounded Tartaglia like moths attracted to a lamp.

"Ahaha... great to meet you too!" Tartaglia said, managing a smile. He was truly happy to meet his old friends but there were also those that he barely even knew.

One particular girl stayed by his side, partly because she was more dominant but also because Tartaglia kept her there. She was his childhood friend and he was more comfortable holding her hand than anyone else's. He was being pushed around so much that he failed to notice the rather frightening expression on Zhongli's face. Irina had sensed danger and decided it was her time to leave.