Arc 2: Chapter 18: Journey Hunt

"Mom! Why don't you listen to me?" Irina cried out, looking very much in distress, but her mother just gently patted her head and continued walking.

"I'll be fine. Doctors told me I have quite some time. How can I not inspect your wedding place?" She said, smiling slightly. "I want to make sure my wedding dress fits you too."

Irina sighed exasperatedly, following behind her mother as they entered the wedding hall. The place looked much more complete than the previous day, and Irina was in awe at how pretty the place looked.

Then they spotted two males throwing shredded paper at each other.

Zhongli and Childe were so engrossed in their playful war that it took a while before they noticed the two other females, staring at them, completely stunned. They quickly stopped, straightening up and clearing their throats. They knew they acted like little kids and should be ashamed of themselves, but they could barely keep the grins off their faces.

The air around them certainly changed. The awkwardness had completely vanished. Irina could tell and figured they made up the previous day, but she was more surprised by how happy they were. Almost like they were in love.

"Ah, Irina! And Mother. Uh.." Childe started awkwardly, unsure what the both of them were thinking.

Unexpectedly, Irina's mother smiled. "I'm glad that you guys are enjoying yourself. But do make sure to clean up."

"Yeah, we will." Tartaglia said, smiling sheepishly, "what do you think about the place?"

"It is absolutely stunning dear." She said, glancing around the place. "I will leave you two to continue your work. Irina, come along."

Childe chuckled nervously, waving his hand as Irina walked past him. Yet Irina just looked at him, then at Zhongli, then back at himself before leaving for another room deeper within the location. Great, now he knew Irina probably labelled himself and Zhongli as weirdos. Little did he know, Zhongli and Irina actually exchanged a rather hostile, silent message with their eyes.

"Alright, let's—" He felt a ball of paper smack into his cheek, "hey!"

And chaos continues to be ensued.

-

They were interrupted about half an hour later by a cry from inside. Next moment, Irina burst out from the room, sobbing hysterically.

"Help! Help please!" She cried out.

Surprised, Tartaglia went over, gently rubbing her back in an attempt to sooth her. "Calm down. Tell us what happened."

"M—My mom! Her illness flared up again! Please help her!" She cried out, barely even calming down.

Tartaglia glanced at Zhongli and they both rushed in to see Irina's mother sitting on a chair. Her fair skin was paler than usual and she had difficulty breathing.

Zhongli snapped into action and gently picked her up before running in the direction of Bubu pharmacy. Perhaps they'd have some herbs to help with her condition. Tartaglia scooped Irina up and ran with him. Though he barely knew the two, he couldn't help but worry.

The staff at the pharmacy worked fast to manage Irina's mother's condition. She was stabilized a little while later, but her condition could worsen again at any time.

"Do you have anything that could help this?"

Herbalist Gui sighed, looking too grave for Tartaglia's liking. Irina looked like she was about to break down again any moment. "No, I've never seen this condition get so bad before. Must have flared up because of the sudden change of environment. However, I know about a herb that could suppress the disease, but we don't have it in stock."

"Where can we get it? I'll go get it!" Irina said quickly.

Herbalist Gui sighed again, "the location of the herb is a very dangerous place. It'll take at least a week to get there by carriages. Not to mention the dangerous monsters and terrain..."

"Please tell me! Please! I'll go anywhere for my mother!" Irina cried out, clinging onto the shocked herbalist.

"Alright, alright! Calm down! It's in a cave in between Tianqiu valley and Nantianmen. There's something big and dangerous there however..."

Irina didn't seem to care. She grabbed Tartaglia and said, "let's go!"

But Zhongli stood at the door, blocking their way. He looked especially grave as well. "No." He said calmly.

"What? Move out of my way!" Irina cried, trying desperately to shove Zhongli away, but the man stood there like a rock wall, unwavering.

"Please calm down Miss Irina. Just like what Herbalist Gui said, it is quite dangerous for you to go. You wouldn't even make it there, much less find the cave and meet the creature within it."

Irina sobbed, her strength weakening as she could barely keep her tears back in. She had never felt so helpless and hopeless. Only if she was stronger.

"But, I can go for you. Me and Childe. We can do this. You should stay and take care of your mother."

Irina's eyes widened in surprise and nodded. "Please! Please help me! Thank you so much!"

-

"Eh... can't you teleport?"

The pair left immediately after packing up. They had to make use of every little second.

Zhongli nodded, "but only to my statues. Even then, it'll be a few days before we actually get to the place. I figured we'd go a little further from the city to make sure no one sees us..."

Then he seemed to decide that they were far enough and pulled Tartaglia closer. Zhongli wrapped his arm around his waist, pressing their bodies against each other. Childe's breath hitched and he felt his cheeks heating up.

"Stay close." Zhongli instructed and Tartaglia nodded.

The next thing he knew, everything went white.