Arc 4: Chapter 48: Fight for Happily Ever After

Childe was only vaguely aware that he was about to die and honestly, he didn't mind. If it would save Zhongli, he'd die again. He'd die over a thousand times if that meant it would protect the one he loved.

Then he remembered Azhdaha wasn't going to spare Zhongli even if he died. Childe wasn't going to have that. If dying wasn't going to protect him then he'd have to live and fight and that was exactly what he did.

For the first time ever, he called upon what lived inside him. Tartaglia didn't know whether he could control it or not but he had to try. He wanted to fight for Zhongli. There was a small but powerful burst of energy from Childe, stunning Azhdaha for a split second. When he came around, Tartaglia was gone.

"What—"

The next thing he knew, his face was being shoved into the ground. Tartaglia attacked unrelentlessly with an insane amount of power.

It was enough for Azhdaha to release his hold on Zhongli. Zhongli was just slightly stunned by Tartaglia too. He was reminded of that creature he saw in his nightmare, yet this time, there was no sinister aura. Looks wise, Tartaglia now looked like an evil demon but it didn't seem like he had any evil intentions. It felt like he was just a machine, fighting because he had to. Zhongli quickly got back into the fight. Even though Tartaglia was doing very well, it was still best if the fight ended fast. Zhongli didn't know how long Childe could last. Zhongli knew Azhdaha's weak spot, Childe didn't.

He got under Azhdaha and stabbed his spear into a spot just under his throat. Azhdaha roared in pain. The effect of that one stab was immense. The large creature was quickly reduced into nothing. Zhongli's eyes widened as his powers returned to him, together with his memories. Everything came flooding back and he was filled with overwhelming guilt rather than happiness that he could remember.

The dust settled and Zhongli turned to see Childe. He was glad that he was still standing, up until he saw the way Tartaglia was looking at him. Again, there was no evil aura, but there was that terrifying killing intent.

"Ajax..." Zhongli said, raising a hand out. He hoped Tartaglia would come back so he wouldn't have to fight him. Not again. Zhongli never ever wanted to cross swords with Childe again in a way where they had to kill each other.

Tartaglia stared quietly and for a fleeting moment, his eyes flickered blue. There was recognition but it was too early for celebration. The moment didn't last long before his irises turned crimson red again. Childe still wasn't in control of himself. He took a step forwards as a claw formed around one of his hands. Zhongli took a step back, praying that they did not have to fight.

"Ajax. Please. It's me."

Yet he still charged forwards, going for an attack that would kill if successful. Zhongli only barely managed to block it with his spear. He moved back, putting some distance between himself and Tartaglia. He wasn't giving up hope. Not yet. Not now, when he had just regained his memories.

Yet Childe did not seem to share the same sentiments. He continued attacking and Zhongli defended. The Geo Archon had no intention of fighting back whatsoever. He would either end up tiring Tartaglia out or die in his hands.

One unwilling to fight and the other fighting to kill. It wasn't difficult to figure out how things would go. The smallest slip could end the battle instantly and it almost did. Tartaglia only stopped short of completely decapitating Zhongli.

Zhongli didn't know what was going on. As old as he was, there were still things he didn't know. Whatever ancient power that Tartaglia holds now was one of the few things he didn't understand but he knew that if Childe hadn't killed him, there was hope. His lover was still somewhere in there and he had to bring him back. Zhongli dropped his spear, breathing deeply as he slowly reached out his hand to cup Tartaglia's cheeks. He could only barely control his emotions. "Please... I don't want to fight you. I don't want to hurt you. I love you."