Arc 4: Chapter 39: Drawing the Line

"Are you okay? Did something happen?"

Tartaglia quickly took a few steps back. Even if the man did help him onto his feet, he still did lock him in the room.

"Who are you?" Tartaglia demanded furiously, trying to act much more brave than he felt. "What do you want from me?"

"Ajax, it's me."

"I don't know who you are."

The man stared, for a moment, looking confused. Then some sort of realization seemed to have hit him and he sighed sadly. "I'm Zhongli."

He was thoroughly confused by the reaction but he didn't care. "Okay. What do you want from me?"

"I mean you no harm, Ajax." Zhongli answered calmly, taking a step forward.

"Then why did you lock me in?" He asked shrilly, taking a step back and grabbing a comb that he could hopefully use to defend himself.

"I didn't."

"YOU DID!"

"Look." Zhongli took a step to the side to reveal the door which had a lock that was inside. Tartaglia paused, looking confused. He locked himself in and hadn't realized it? He was panicking too much.

"I promise you, Ajax, I'm not here to hurt you." Zhongli tried to get closer when Tartaglia faltered slightly but then he raised the comb again.

"Answer my questions first."

"... Alright."

"How did I get here?" Tartaglia asked.

Zhongli stared for a moment then answered, "you passed out outside. I brought you back here to help you."

"Why don't I..." Childe hadn't fully asked his question but a sudden headache made him feel like his head was about to split into half. He dropped the comb and grabbed onto his head. Tartaglia tilted to the side as his vision went blurry.

"AJAX!"

Zhongli woke up, his eyes wide. He groaned softly when he realized that he was back at home, alone. He doubted that he could sleep after that so he slipped out of bed and headed to the guest room.

That dream he just had, it took place there, in that little room. Zhongli frowned slightly, his heart ached from a pain he did not understand. Something painful happened here but Zhongli couldn't quite remember. Recently, bits and pieces of memories were returning as his power grew stronger. It wasn't a bad thing, but the downside of it was that all the bad memories seemed to be returning first. Everything was jumbled up and he had to put everything together. Zhongli could tell that there was something holding his memories and his power back.

He had been spending more time with Childe and whenever he looked at Tartaglia, he seemed to almost remember something painful. His chest tightened uncomfortably and felt an odd sense of fear. Zhongli didn't know what that fear was but it was extremely intense.

Sighing softly, he realized that he probably needed to talk to someone about it all. Bottling it all up would not do any good.

-

Tartaglia and Zhongli just had lunch together again and they had some extra time before Zhongli had to go back to work again. They decided to hang out together for a little bit and took a stroll around Chihu Rock. The place was lively with people doing their own work.

Zhongli found Tartaglia staring at a couple and wondered quietly what he was thinking about. His expression seemed a little sad. He initially wanted to talk about the dream but figured that Childe was more important than that. "Ajax, are you okay?" He asked.