Arc 1: Chapter 12: Return to Liyue

Zhongli finally arrived in Liyue harbour after a few days break in Mondstadt. Immediately, he could tell a difference in the atmosphere around him. Tension and fear was thick in the air as people scampered around, quickly doing their business and speaking in hushed tones. In so many years of his life, Zhongli had never seen Liyue Harbor in the state it was in now. It was like it had been taken over by a tyrant.

Then a man bumped into him and hastily apologized. Before he could leave, Zhongli quickly held onto him. "What happened around here?"

The man jumped in shock when he was held back and quickly pulled his arm away. "Don't you know? People are being killed left and right, but no one knows who is doing it. If you don't have anything on outside, you better return home and lock all your windows and doors." With that, he scampered away quickly, as if something could come out and kill him all of a sudden.

Zhongli stared at the back of the man, feeling thoroughly confused. Just what was going on? Why was the Qixing not doing anything about it? Zhongli hurried to the funeral parlour, hopefully, he'd find out more things there.

-

He hiked up Mount Tianheng once more, his eyes fiery with anger. Zhongli learnt about what had happened and he immediately knew it was Tartaglia who was causing all the trouble. Everything that had happened was between them, he didn't understand why Childe was harming his people. Now he understood why the Qixing wasn't doing anything. They didn't have any evidence to go off with. Was he trying to get back at him?

He made an appointment and he was informed to meet Childe at Mount Tianheng that evening. Zhongli expected an explanation.

Reaching the peak, he saw Childe sitting calmly at a table with a young woman gagged, blinded, deafened and bound to a chair placed dangerously close to the edge of the cliff.

"Ah. I was wondering if I was being played again." Tartaglia said. His voice cold and calm, unlike what Zhongli knew. He turned around with a grin plastered onto his face as he gestured for him to sit.

Zhongli was taken aback by what he saw. Childe's already dark blue eyes had turned even darker. His complexion was pale and his hair lost its usual bright, fluffy look. It felt like Tartaglia had aged quite a few years in the short span of a few days. Zhongli did not mention anything and sat down quietly. Whatever was going on, Zhongli knew he had to thread carefully. Something was not right.

"Why are you killing my people?"

"Sit. Drink." Childe said, pointing to the small porcelain cup on the table. He completely ignored Zhongli's question.

If Zhongli was any mortal, he wouldn't have known a thing, but as an Ex-Archon, he could tell from the smell that it was poisoned. "Starfish grass is poisonous, Childe."

Tartaglia continued smiling creepily, standing up and walking over to the poor woman, trembling in her seat. "As expected of the knowledgeable Mr Zhongli. Seems like this little girl is a liar. She told me it would be undetectable."

Zhongli eyed him quietly, his body tensing up as he watched Tartaglia gently stroking the woman's cheek.

"Well, if you don't die, she will." Tartaglia pushed her chair towards the cliff and the woman screamed through her gag, frightened by the sudden movement.

"STOP!" Zhongli yelled, rushing over to grab the chair, but Childe stopped him. Tartaglia hadn't let go, and it was obvious that he was going to let go if Zhongli came any closer.

"If there's anything, it's between us. Don't drag innocent people into this!" Zhongli said hoarsely.

"Between us..." Childe repeated, "between us... between us?" He cackled, wheezing as he tried to stop himself.