Arc 3: Chapter 36: Final Breath

Childe woke up earlier than Zhongli had expected. He found himself wrapped tightly in Zhongli's coat with his scarf wrapped around his neck and a ring in his hand.

Zhongli was not in the prison he was in and his heart sank. He couldn't have sacrificed himself, could he? Childe panicked, he had to get out and save Zhongli. He spotted the keys to the prison dangling on the guards belt outside. Just before he could do anything, everything went dark.

Tartaglia was horrified as the chanting grew louder. It was happening, it was happening and he didn't have much time. It was a race against time.

Not having much of a choice, he stuck his hand out of the bars of the cage and grabbed around until he got the key. Childe couldn't tell if the guard noticed it but he got himself out as soon as possible. Thank god for the darkness because no one could see him.

Tartaglia bumped into a few people but he kept running, pushing through anyone that was in his way. He kept going to the light, where he could see Zhongli's figure kneeling on the snowy ground, his head lowered in defeat. Another figure appeared in the light. With that outfit, Tartaglia could tell that it was scaramouche. A long, crimson red sword was in his hand. It glowed red, releasing a menacing and evil aura that even Childe could feel from that far away. He was running out of time. He wasn't going to make it!

Scaramouche drew back the sword, readying it to stab into Zhongli. Tartaglia ran even faster, shoving anyone in his way even harder. He was starting to make a racket but Scaramouche paid no attention to him.

He thrusted the sword forwards and Tartaglia made a desperate jump forwards.

"Huh...?"

Zhongli looked up when nothing seemed to have happened and he was greeted with a sight that would forever be in his nightmares.

"Oh." Even Childe seemed surprised when he looked down at himself. He looked back up at Zhongli and smiled.

There the one he loved so much was with something red protruding out of his chest. Childe's clothes were stained crimson red by his blood, which quickly turned a dark shade of purple as the red sword lost its color and dissipated. His eyes widened as Tartaglia collapsed before him, smiling.

Scaramouche's eyes widened in shock. This was wrong! All wrong! He was supposed to stab into a non-fatal spot to break the seal so the spirit of Durin could enter the body, take over it and then slowly heal it afterwards. Now that the sword has been stuck through Tartaglia's heart, the spirit was transferred into a dying host and would die with it. He roared in anger, wanting to stab again but the sword had dissipated. He was furious, but it was nothing compared to Zhongli.

The earth will still bend when called by the earth master. The mountain shook. The ceiling of the cave started collapsing and there was chaos. The fatui were running around, desperately trying to not get flattened by the falling boulders. The chains around Zhongli's arms had pretty much vaporized under the pure energy of a god. His amber eyes glowed angrily as he summoned the earth to swallow Scaramouche whole and then tear him apart. He had brought the worst out of him and he was going to pay for it.

With revenge served, Zhongli scooped up Tartaglia and disappeared from the scene, leaving the fatui to fend for themselves in the collapsing cave.

-

"Zhong... li." Childe breathed out. He could feel Zhongli's rapid breathing and his heart pounding against his chest. "... stop..."

Tartaglia was still bleeding and he was very much aware of that. The pain seemed to have dulled away however, or maybe it's just him dying. When he was first stabbed, it didn't just hurt, it burned. It felt like his blood was set aflame. It felt like he was being burned inside out.

"There's no use... put me down..."

Zhongli finally slowed down, looking down at Tartaglia. Childe had never seen him so sad. He had never seen a Zhongli that was crying so badly. His expression didn't change much but his tears kept falling and his eyes were filled with fear. He obeyed, kneeling down and placing Tartaglia on his lap.

"Don't look... so sad..." Childe tried to reach out but he could barely move his arm. Zhongli took it and placed his palm against his cheek, squeezing his eyes shut as tears continued flowing.

"It's okay..." he said, trying to reassure Zhongli. Tartaglia was happy. He finally managed to protect Zhongli this time. He hoped he could forgive him for everything and take this as a repayment for everything he had done wrong to Zhongli.

"I'm sorry... I have to go..."

Zhongli shook his head. "Don't say that... don't say that." He whimpered, "you'll be fine. You'll live with me happily." Why did everyone he loved had to go? Everyone... no matter who it was. His friends were gone. Three of the four Yakshas were gone. Osial was gone. Havria was gone. Guizhong was gone and now Tartaglia was going to leave him too. Just what had he done wrong? He always tried protecting them. It hurt so much but he kept trying and trying to protect them all.

"Smile for me..."

"How? How do I smile?"

"Like this." Tartaglia managed a weak smile.

Zhongli opened his eyes to see Childe smiling at him yet crying at the same time. He didn't understand just how he was still smiling then he realized that maybe he was doing this for him. He had done nothing but try to comfort him even though he was the one dying. Zhongli could at least just try to do something for him too. His lips curved upwards in a smile and he tried to look happy although he couldn't stop crying. Tartaglia looked gratefully up at him. At least he could see him smile one last time.

"Do you remember... what I said... before we parted?"

Zhongli looked a little shocked at the question. Of course he remembered. He could remember it vividly.

"I thought you loved me." Zhongli said.

"I thought I did too."

"Why... why are you bringing that up?" Zhongli asked. It was not a memory he wanted to relive. He was already miserable enough watching Childe die.

Childe wanted to say he never stopped loving him but the words never left his lips. His vision went dark and he breathed his last breath. Everything disappeared and there was nothing left.

"Ajax?" Zhongli asked when there was no response. "AJAX?" He cried out, clutching onto his shoulders, shaking him gently. Tartaglia's eyes were glassy and his body remained lifeless. "Come back... please..."

He roared out as the pain and grief came in waves, crashing into him all at once. His cries and weeping became silent as he held onto Tartaglia tightly, refusing to let him go. Everything hurt so badly and Zhongli wished for nothing more than to die with him.

That day the earth shook so hard that anyone could feel it.

The Geo Archon had returned.

Arc 3 End