Recovery

Slowly, my eyes peeled open. There was so much bright light hitting them, blinding me. 

Connor. 

I gasped for air as I launched myself upward. "Ahh!" A scream forced itself out of my mouth, my throat so dry that I could only hear a light wince.

How the hell did I survive that? I thought I was gonna die for sure.

Not exactly remembering how I thought I was going to die, I quickly checked the room I was in. Some machinery with monitors, a long hose attached to me with a needle suck in my hand. I wasn't dressed like I was at home, more like I was in a dress of some sorts? A gown, maybe? 

Then I saw my wrist, wrapped in bandage. I felt my head hurt more. "Gah!" I screamed once more, this time the pain was more intense. I clutched my hair, trying to rip off my head of all the pain, but to no avail.

I heard the door swung open, then footsteps followed after. I looked up only to find out people in white and blue garb were the ones that entered the room, with one of them had an equipment around their neck. Stethoscope?

"Mr. Hart please, try to calm down. It's alright. You were out for a while." The man in blue said as he approached me with his hand on my back. Another person injected something to the tube that was attached to me. My heartbeat slowed down, my body relaxed.

"I need you to follow my instruction, okay?" I nodded hesitantly. He lit up a small torch, then gave me instructions to follow them with my eyes. "It's too bright." I groaned, squinting my eyes.

"It's okay, it'll take time for your eyes to adjust again." he turned off the torch and grabbed his clipboard writing something down. "We've called your parents, Dale. They should be here soon." He passed me a glass of water, helped me drink some, then placed it to the table right next to the bed.

My eyes felt heavy again, tired. I let the weight of the world press on me as I pass out once more.

--- ---

"He's moving." I could hear another voice, but it was too soft for me to recognize who that person was. 

My eyes still hurt but I let them adjust for a while until I can make out a silhouette of a person hovering on top of me. Another followed the first as they stood right next to me.

"How long was I out?" I asked curiously. I could hear sobs from a woman as it slowly get softer. Did she leave? 

"Dale?" A voice of a man then followed. I recognize this voice.

"Connor? Where am I?" This time my eyes were able to see clearly. I tried to pull myself up once more but limped again. "Easy there." He caught me from my back and slowly sat me up.

"You were out for three days." He said, as he passed me a glass of water. I took a sip from it to help wet my dry throat. "You cut your wrists and nearly bled to death."

My eyes widened at the sudden realization, my memories flooded in as I recalled to the events that preceded. 

I cheated on Connor.

"I- I'm so sorry Connor!" I started crying, pressing my hands on my chest. "I'm really sorry Connor."

"It's okay Dale, it really is." He comforted, sincerely. 

"It's not okay. I- I did something bad. But I don't want you to leave me so I thought..." I trialed on my words, figuring out on what to say next.

"Whatever it is, I'm sure we can talk about it. It's not like we can't fix it right." He then wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer as I rest my head on his chest.

"It's going to be okay." He whispered.

--- ---

"How did you figure out what was going on?" I asked Connor, as he helped me fix me eat the food that was brought to me earlier.

"You sent me a text message saying you were sorry and you love me. I was confused. My parents and I were just about to leave town but when I received your message, I called your parents to check on you. That's when they heard a loud crash in your room. And then... they found you, almost dying." 

"I tried to call you but you didn't pick up. Then I received a call from Keri and said that you were about to be brought here by an ambulance." Connor gave me a quick summary of how I ended up here.

"T-thanks." I stammered, avoiding eye contact with him, turning away my face from him. I only glanced at him and he looked distraught. 

"Connor..." I started. I may have to regret on what I was about to say to him but I need to let this off my chest. "Maybe... we should slow down a little."

"What do you mean slow down a little?"

I took in a deep breath, gathering all the courage I have in me to say them. "I---" But I can't.

"You?"

"I think we should cool off a little." 

"Are you saying we should break up?" His words full of sorrow.

"That's not what I meant. Like give each other some space."

"Am I choking you in our relationship Dale?"

I quickly faced him, reaching for his face with my cold heavy hands. "You're not Connor. I love you. I just did something that I regret and I don't know if I can handle losing you."

"Was it Roy?" He asked once more, this time his tone had suspicions on them.

My hands dropped to my legs, my head lowered, humiliated. 

"I see." He stood up from my bed, grabbed his jacket. "I hope you feel better soon Dale. I guess you're right. I need to figure some things out."

Then he left. I was alone. I was once again full on uncertainty.

I heard him grunt on the other side, together with a loud slam on the wall. 

I bit my lip and brought my hands to my face. Tears had been raining down once more.

Please don't leave me Connor. I love you.