Jeopardy

"I'll catch up with you later, Dale. If you need company for lunch that is." Keri kissed my cheek as she headed off to meet up with her friends. She wasn't usually like this but I guess she was greatly concerned about my well being.

The week of our formal had arrived and it's no secret that I, well don't want to attend. I mean what's the point. Connor and I seem distant at the moment, I can't even bring myself to hangout with May and Justin, I've been avoiding Roy and Grace this whole time, my other friends had been worried but would walk away. I absolutely got no one at this point in time. 

And my relationship with Connor is at risk because of my stupid actions.

I felt cold stares of people passing by, as they made their way to their own destinations. I walked towards my locker to get everything I need for first period. I have May and Grace during that period. I need to avoid them, for the mean time. 

My mind was not paying attention at all, until I reached my locker. Once I was done shoving my backpack inside and only getting my organizer, I spun around to head off to my class but I bumped into someone. 

"Dale." Connor stood still. My body froze at his manly frame. I forgot how hw towered me but not that much. He was not that skinny either, just fit with broad shoulders and toned arms and legs.

"H-hi." Damn, I never thought I could be this pathetic.

"It's uhm, good to see you." He mumbled, not making eye contact. He was the one that would tell me to look someone in the eye, no matter what your intentions are.

I contemplated to whether kiss him or even hold his hand, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. "Y-yeah, I w-was getting bored at home." Again, why with the stuttering? I need to stop this.

"Look, I need to go to my class now. I'll see you around." Before I could even get to say anymore, he vanished like the wind. 

I walked through the hallways as I approached my classroom, to find May and Grace stood at the door, chatting like usual. They got this habit of just hanging outside while we waited for our teacher to arrive. But right now, I think they're both waiting for me as they shifted their attention to me.

"Are you okay?" Grace asked first, to my surprise. May did not even say a word or two, just stared at me, burning a hole through my body. 

"Y-yeah, I'm absolutely f-fine." Now my stuttering is getting annoying. Did I just get this after the incident?

All three of us walked in together, I chose to sit on the far end of the room though. "We should hang out at lunch. I haven't seen you or Connor for a while now. Just to catch up." Grace happily invited.

"If that's okay for either of you or Connor, at least." May added. She knew that me and Connor are taking time off at the moment. We even barely spoke to each other after the hospital scene. 

"Sure, I'll text him." As I grabbed my phone and sent him a message. Maybe we can finally get a chance to talk

Time sure went by and before I knew it, it was about lunch time. Which meant, I got a chance to see Connor again, but so was Roy. 

I went to our usual spot, seeing May raised her hand and waved at me. At least she's still trying to be cheerful. 

Grace and Roy were already seated with May and Justin on one end. "Where's Connor?" 

"He said he'll be running late, so I-"

"I'm so sorry about being late every-"

Me and Connor paused, to find each other sitting at the exact same spot. "You can have a sit Dale, I'll just sit across you." He offered.

"I insist, you came here first. I don't mind sitting away from everyone." Thank god my stuttering was gone. But then he shook his head.

"That's algood Dale. You can take a seat already, you look exhausted." He moved to the other side and sat directly across me. I sat down quietly, as well, rubbing my hands together, uneasy.

"So..."

"So..."

We both opened our mouths, speaking at the same time again. I lowered my head down but tried to keep my eyes peered up to barely see his face. He shifted his head away from everyone, almost turning pink. Everyone at the table had their mouths hanging, well except Roy.

"How are-"

"How are-"

Jeez why do we have to think almost exactly the same and say our words at the same time? Is this some sort of joke? Are we reading each other's minds? I'm sure we don't have any ridiculous psychic connection. I might as well think that I love him so much if he can read my mind.

"Hey Connor, good to see you around." All of our heads quickly shut up as we all recognized that voice, Jen, May's ex-bestfriend now turned to worst enemy. She placed her hand on Connor's shoulder.

"Hi Jen, yeah good to see you too." My heart raced so hard that it was ready to launch off my body. I moved my eyes towards May, she was also furious. 

"Bitch what the fuck are you doing here?" May asked, angered at the presence of the hoe.

"What? Can't a girl ask a friend." She winked at Connor. This time, my fists curled into a ball. If she wasn't a girl, I would hit her right there and then.

"Oh hi Dale, didn't notice you there." Jen said dryly. "Look, I was just wondering if Connor is available for the upcoming formal."

"I am."

"He's not."

"What the fuck?"

"What the fuck?"

I took short, shallow breaths, holding my anger. May was so ready to jump on her as well. Who the fuck this bitch thinks she is.

"Well you have a boyfriend anyways and he's right here. So there's no point asking, but hey worth the shot." She waved at him goodbye, letting her hands drop and graze on Connor's chest.

"Connor, you better not do this." I said, sternly.

"What do you mean I can't do this, Dale? But you're allowed to do things with him?" He pointed at Roy, who was clutching Grace tight. From the looks of it, the couple might have sorted their own shit. Me and Connor, far from it, and was riled up by that stupid bitch.

"You know how she is. I- I don't want to lose you." My voice cracked, softened, hurt. My tears slowly built up on my eyes, yet Connor didn't bother looking at me.

"I told you that we needed time, but this was not what I intend." I stood up, backed away.

"I hope we can work things out Connor. Not runaway from it."

"Who's running away Dale?"

I am, but you can stop me. I know you can. I know you want to. Please don't make me leave.

I took a few more steps back, but he didn't seem move even the slightest.

Yet, I was still scared. I can't face my demons. I want Connor,, but can't say the right words.

So I ran.