Meeting

Typically I don't come to any kids birthday parties because I know they're lame and I don't enjoy them as much. The only difference right now is I'm free all day and I kind of said yes to this invitation. I would have avoided this easily but when I'm caught with my pants down (not literally), I'm forced to throw up a yes and choke on a no.

"For sure your dad will drop you off at my house. Don't worry, we'll get you a ride home tonight. As a matter of fact, you can actually spend the night here. Roy can lend you some clothes." May can be pretty persuasive, but I know all she wants for us to do is drink all night. She, her older sister and her cousins drink every weekend and I would hear some gossip from them when we see each other the following week. 

I sat on the bench while I wait for dad to pick me up from school.  It's Friday so I have free time and Connor won't be here since he's got soccer practice in the next town over the weekend. Seems all the convenience I need, but I don't make any excuses as much . We both agreed to allow each other to spend time however we want it once in a while, keeping in touch with each other and update on what's going on. On the other hand, I'm really bad at making excuses especially when I'm hanging out with May. Connor knows why we hang out and he's alright with that but I can be hard to handle when I'm drunk.

"You're lucky Connor is not in town, but he'll get that idea already why we're hanging out. He will definitely say no, but I guess that's where I'm gonna say that it's your nephew's birthday." My response to May did not make much sense, but I'm sure she sees my point.

"I'll make sure to thank him for this when he gets back in town. Dale you're the best!" She waved good bye as her cousin drove off. While waiting for my ride, my phone rang with a familiar ring tone. 

"Are you home yet?" Connor asked worriedly. He drops me off home most of the time, especially since he got his first car last year. 

"Nope, but dad is on his way. Don't worry babe, I'll be home shortly." I answered to him, trying to ease his concern. 

"I'm really sorry I can't drop you off home today. Coach Miller was on a bad mood today, so all of us have to be early since we'll be catching a bus instead of going on the train." The tone of his voice had a hint of disheartened. 

"Like I said, I'll be fine. you had to do what you had to do. Besides, I'll be cheering for you from my bedroom and will make sure you'll hear it.", trying to cheer him up. It's not like we haven't seen each other for a long time, since we've had lunch just before their coach decided that  they need to leave early, without much argument from our principal. He didn't want to leave me hanging, but I do understand that. It goes both ways for us. 

I heard him take a deep breath over the phone, followed by a whistle. "I guess that's your cue to leave now. I'll see you on Sunday. Let's have dinner at my house. Mum's cooking something special and she'll probably expecting you to come."

"Yeah I'll ask Coach Miller to allow me to go home early. I'll see you on Sunday. I love you, Dale."

"Love you too, Connor." I hang up, and sent him a kiss emoji. 

I patiently wait for my dad to arrive, when I saw this white car suddenly stopped across me. The windowed dropped and a guy poked his head out.

"Yo, have you seen May? I was supposed to pick her up." He looked confused and mad at the same time.

"Her cousin picked her up earlier. Do you know her?" I yelled back. 

"If you have her number, can you text her that Roy is pissed." He pulled his window back up and drove off, not even answering my question. Maybe another of her boys.