TREEBEARD! PUT THEM DOWN

*Legolas Pov*

Dawn was rising, and we were still going. I couldn’t wait to hold Sarah in my arms. I needed to be honest and tell her I loved her. We kept on running still chasing after the Uruk-hai. As the sun was rising I stopped and paused looking up to the sky,

“A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night.” I spoke, oh please Sarah be ok. I pray you’re not hurt.

We stopped to hear the sound of horses. Aragorn, Gimli and I hide behind some boulders. A large group of horse-men appears, galloping quickly with their banners flying. They were Riders of Rohan, as I watched as Aragorn comes out of hiding as they pass, I followed then by Gimli. Who grunted and almost lost his footing, from all the running we have be doing. Maybe he will lose some weight. I chuckled.

“Riders of Rohan, what news from the Mark?” Aragorn called out to the Riders of Rohan. With a signal from the lead rider, the riders make a quick turn and head towards us, surrounding us in ever-tightening circles. As they stop, they point their long spears menacingly at us. My bow was in my hands ready as I stood patiently.

“What business does an Elf, a man and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!” A solider asked.

“Give me your name, Horsemaster, and I shall give you mine.” Gimli told him as politely as he could. The rider hands his staff to another rider, and gets off his horse. I noticed that Aragorn put a hand on Gimli’s shoulder.

“I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground.” He spat as I, in a lightning fast move, points an arrow towards the rider.

“You would die before your stroke fell!” I threatened.

The riders all point their spears closer at us mainly at me but I didn’t care. After a tense moment, Aragorn pushes down my arm. As I put my arrow away they soon backed off.

“I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. This is Gimli, son of Glóin and Legolas of the Woodland realm. We are friends of Rohan and of Théoden, your king.” Aragorn introduced but I kept my eyes on the rider.

“Théoden no longer recognizes friend from foe.” He spoke as he took off his helmet as I noticed he was Éomer “Not even his own kin.” He finished. The spears were withdrawn as we talked.

“Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king and claimed lordship over these lands. My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished. The White Wizard is cunning. He walks here and there, they say, as an old man, hooded and cloaked. And everywhere his spies slip past our nets.” Éomer hissed towards us.

“We are not spies. We track a party of Uruk-hai westward across the plain. They’ve taken three of our friends captive.” Aragorn spoke as we all hung our heads.

“The Uruks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night.” Éomer spoke slightly sad for us as my head perked up. Sarah!

“But there were two hobbits. Did you see two hobbits with them? And Sarah? She must have been with them she wouldn’t leave Merry and Pippin?” Gimli asked desperately.

“They would be small – only children to your eyes. And Sarah, you couldn’t miss her” Aragorn whispered.

“We left none alive. We piled the carcasses and burned them.” Éomer spoke pointing to a smoking pile in the distance.

“Dead?” Gimli asked in disbelief.

“I am sorry. Here, We found this from the girl who was dead when we got there” He spoke as he handed us Sarah’s silk white cloak, that had gold blood stains. I took it in my hands as I felt my heart shatter. I had to blink back tears as I put a hand on Gimli’s shoulder in grief. Éomer turns and whistles. Sarah couldn’t be dead. NO! I looked and saw Aragorn was heartbroken.

“Hasufel! Arod! [Two horses move up.] May these horses bear you to better fortune than their former masters. Farewell.” Éomer spoke as he puts on his helmet and gets back on his horse.

“Look for your friends. But do not trust to hope, it has forsaken these lands. [To the riders] We ride north!” And with that Éomer and the Riders of Rohan disappeared over the hills to the north. We looked on as the Riders go off. We then rode towards the burning carcasses. Gimli starts to shift through the smoldering pile, and pulls out a charred belt and dagger sheath.

“It’s one of their wee belts.” He chocked as I had to look away stop the tears from coming.

“Hiro îth… ab 'wanath... (May they find peace in death)” I whispered as I bowed my head and closed my head. Aragorn yelled out angrily as he kicked a helmet and fell down to his knees.

“We failed them.” Gimli sighed sadly. I watched as something caught Aragorn’s attention. Tracks!

“A hobbit lay here, and the other.” He sighed.

*FLASHBACK TO THE NIGHT*

*Sarah Pov*

“Hurry and run!” I whispered as soon Mayhem ensues as Riders of Rohan burst out from their hiding places and ambush the Orcs. I draw my bow as I begin to shoot the Orcs as the Riders of Rohan swung at me once, I dodged as I helped killed the Orcs and Uruk-hai. I looked back to see the Hobbits had gotten free from their bonds, suddenly I hear a scream, as I turn to see Pippin on the ground with a pair of thrashing hooves bearing down on him.

“Pippin!” I shouted as I dove and shoved him out of the way. The horse kicked me in the shoulder as I cried out. I could feel blood seep into my cloak. The horse was smashing onto the cloak, as I struggled to unbutton it. I gasped as I laid there. I saw Merry and Pippin run into the forest.

“Éomer! When you find them give them this. You will know when you see them” I begged in a gasp as the pain in my shoulder stung. I closed my eyes for a second as he sighed. When I smelt burning I got to my feet and ran into the forest after Merry and Pippin. Fangorn Forest is no place to be alone and undefended in..

*BACK TO PRESENT TIME*

*Legolas Pov*

Aragorn was following the tracks until he watched.

“The tracks lead away from the battle... [They break into a run and then stop] into Fangorn Forest.” He gasped. As we walked over to the edge of the dark densed forest.

“Fangorn. What madness drove them in there?” Gimli gasped in horror.

*Pippin Pov*

It was still night time as Merry and I, were out of breath and running further into Fangorn Forest, seeking to lose the pursuing Orc. We collapsed onto the ground, out of breath. I wondered where Sarah was? She wasn’t behind us, and I heard her scream once she pushed me out of the way. I do hope Sarah is alright.

“Did we lose him?” I asked as we all looked around

”I think we lost him.” Merry spoke as we enjoyed being able to catch our breath. Suddenly, the Orc who had been trying to eat us appeared from behind the trees, brandishing a blade.

“I’m gonna rip out your filthy little innards! Come here!” He shouted, as we got to our feet and ran once more. Hiding behind trees. It won’t be long before he finds us.

“Trees! Climb a tree!” Merry called as we scrambled to climb up the tree. We looked around as we sighed in relief.

“He's gone.” Merry smiled, and then suddenly Merry was pulled down by his leg and fell to the ground. The Orc was leaning over him with his menacing blade. Merry tries to kick him off but to no avail.

“Merry!” I cried out as I looked down in horror but as I turned my head, I spot a pair of gleaming yellow eyes blinking in the tree I was clinging to. The tree starts to move and groan.

“Hooooo...” The Tree spoke as I freaked out.

“Argh!!” I cried as I lost my grip in fright and grabbed at the air futilely as I falls. The tree catches me before I hits the ground.

“Let’s put a maggot-hole in your belly.” The Orc sneered down at Merry. Suddenly he senses something behind him and as he looks up, the tree stomps and squashes him onto the forest floor.

“Run, Merry!” I shouted towards Merry. Merry tries to run away but is scooped by the tree as well.

“Little Orcs! Burárum...” The Tree looked down at us as he was walking.

“It’s talking, Merry. The tree is talking!” I whispered in shock.

“Tree?! I am no tree. I am an Ent.” He spoke slightly offended as he stomped slowly through the forest.

“A treeherder! A shepherd of the forest.” Merry spoke in awe.

“Don’t talk to it, Merry. Don’t encourage it.” I spoke in fear.

“Treebeard, some call me.” He introduced himself as I gulped.

“And whose side are you on?” I asked nervously.

“Side? I am on nobody’s side because nobody’s on my side, little Orc. Nobody cares for the woods anymore, except for a princess. But she was taken from us years ago.” He spoke slightly hurt.

“We’re not Orcs. We’re Hobbits!” Merry spoke in protest.

“Hobbits? Never heard of a hobbit before. Sounds like Orc mischief to me!” Treebeard spoke as he tightened his hold on us and squeezes us. We whimpered in pain “They come with fire, they come with axes. Gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!” He snarled.

“No, you don’t understand. We’re Hobbits... Halflings! Shirefolk!” I called out in protest.

“Maybe you are and maybe you aren’t. The White Wizard will know.” Treebeard spoke.

“The White Wizard?” I asked unsure as I glanced at Merry.

“Saruman.” Merry spoke in a whisper.

“TREEBEARD! PUT THEM DOWN!” Came a demanding voice, as I turned to see Sarah with a bleeding shoulder with her sword in her hand.

“Sarah, it’s so good to see you” He smiled, as she walked over. Treebeard drops us on the ground and we look up at the White Wizard…..