Théoden and Gríma

*Aragorn Pov*

We have been searching in Fangorn Forest for any signs of Merry and Pippin. Legolas hasn’t spoken a word since we received Sarah’s cloak. I couldn’t believe she was gone. I didn’t want to believe it, though there was all the evidence right under my nose. As we passed a stained leaf Gimli puts his finger in the liquid and brings it to his mouth.

“Ptui! Orc Blood!” he spat out as I looked down at the tracks. I frowned I have never seen these before.

“These are strange tracks.” I muttered as I bent down to place my hand on the dirt and trace the markings. What could have caused these?

“The air is so close in here.” Gimli whined.

“This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory... and anger.” Legolas finally spoke, as I heard the forest groans reverberate through the forest and Gimli raises his axe.

“The trees are speaking to each other.” Legolas hissed as I looked over at Gimli. Oh brother!

“Gimli!” I hissed in a whisper as he looked over at me.

“Huh?” He replied, as I made a gesture of lowering.

“Lower your axe.” I hissed as he looked at his weapon then suddenly realised what I was talking about. He slowly lowered his axe.

“Oh.” He spoke bluntly.

“Aragorn, nad nâ ennas! (Something is out there.)” Legolas told me as I walked over to him.

“Man cenich? (What do you see?)” I asked him as he used his elf vision to see what was coming.

“The White Wizard approaches.” He whispered then raised an eyebrow.

“Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us.” I told them, as I wrapped my hand around the hilt of my sword, Gimli tightens his hold on his axes, and Legolas notches an arrow to his bow.

“We must be quick.” I whispered to the others as we could hear him coming. With a yell, we three swing round to attack. Gimli’s axe and Legolas’ arrow are deflected. I had to drop my sword as it becomes red hot in my grasp. We shielded our eyes with our hands from the bright light emanating from the White Wizard.

“You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits and a Young Maidan.” He spoke as we all gasped.

“Sarah?” Legolas asked with hope.

“Where are they?” I asked.

“They passed this way the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?” He asked me, it did slightly. But I couldn’t see him. That made me uncomfortable.

“Who are you? Show yourself!” I shouted to him as the bright light dims, revealing Gandalf, all dressed in white. Legolas and Gimli bow. But I could do was stare in shock.

“It cannot be. You fell.” I spoke shocked.

“Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done.” He spoke in a daze almost as if he was re-living the memories.

“Gandalf!” I smiled. He was truly alive.

“Gandalf? Yes... That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.” He spoke as he smiled and chuckled.