Waiting

*Sarah Pov*

We stood in the Golden Hall the next morning as we told King Theoden, as he gravely listening to Gandalf. I didn’t sleep at all last night. What my father spoke to me was horrifying. I saw myself killing Legolas, Aragorn and the rest of fellowship. I couldn’t let that come true. Legolas and Aragorn were still worried over me, but I kept assuring them I was fine.

“There was no lie in Pippin's eyes; a fool, but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring.” Gandalf spoke as I notice Gimli let out a sigh of relief. Gandalf turns to look at King Theoden, with a glance of hope in his voice as he continued to talk.

“We've been strangely fortunate. What Pippin saw in the Palantir was a glimpse of our enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing.” Gandalf spoke as he turned towards Aragorn, as I saw him shuffle on his feet slightly uncomfortable with what Gandalf was about to say.

“The heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still - strength enough left to challenge him.” I spoke as everyone turned to me as I finished. I looked back at King Theoden as he was listening intently, but not saying anything.

“Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle-Earth uniting under one banner. He will raise Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees the return of the King.” I warned as everyone nodded. They knew I spoke the truth. I knew it was, it was my own father, I knew what he feared, I knew the flaws he made in his plans.

“If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war!” Gandalf told King Theoden as they held a gaze.

“Tell me. Why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours?” King Theoden spoke as my mouth dropped. HONESTLY! Is King Theoden SERIOUS!

“What do we owe Gondor?” King Theoden continued as I hissed.

“You owe Gondor your life!” I snapped as King Theoden glared at me but he knew it was true.

“I will go.” Aragorn spoke urgently.

“No!” Gandalf and I shouted hurriedly at the same time. I would have thought it was funny if it was in different circumstances.

“They must be warned.” Aragorn defended.

“They will be.” Gandalf replied as I heard him whisper to Aragorn.

“You must come to Minas Tirith by another road” He whispered. “Follow the river, look to the black ships.” I watched as Aragorn nodded towards Gandalf.

“Understand this . . . things are now in motion that cannot be undone.” I spoke as I saw Gandalf turn on his heels and stared straight down at Pippin. Oh poor Pippin!

“I ride for Minas Tirith! And I won't be going alone!” Gandalf spoke, as I glanced back down to Pippin who gulped and looked slightly uneasy.

*No One Pov*

Gandalf hurries along the streets of Edoras as the Dawn approached. Merry and Pippin were running alongside Gandalf in order to keep up.

“Of all the inquisitive Hobbits, Peregrin, Took, you are the worst. Hurry, hurry!” Gandalf snarled at Pippin over his shoulder as Pippin struggles to keep up with Gandalf’s long strides, but he soon caught up with Merry.

“Where are we going?” Pippin asked worried.

“Why did you look - why do you always have to look?” Merry demanded annoyed with Pippin.

“I don't know . . . I can't help it.” Pippin spoke as Merry turned away from his friend as they kept walking.

“You never can.” Merry snapped.

“I'm sorry, alright? I won't do it again.” Pippin spoke lightly, as Merry had finally had enough as he turned towards Pippin.

“Don't you understand ... the Enemy thinks you have the Ring . . . he's going to be looking for you, Pip. They have to get you out of here!” He hissed as they began walking again.

“And you. You're coming with me . . .Merry?” Pippin pleaded.

“Come on!” Merry shouted. They made it into the stables, as Gandalf lifts Pippin and he is dumped unceremoniously onto the back of ShadowFax as GANDALF hurriedly prepares to leave. Sarah ran into the stables with a few things for Gandalf as he smiled and thanked her. She gave Pippin a weak smile and stood beside Meery.

“How far is Minas Tirith?” Pippin asked Gandalf nervously.

“Three days ride as the Nazgul flies and you'd better hope we don't have one of those on our tail.” Gandalf spoke as he got up onto the back of ShadowFax.

“May you be blessed with safe travel Gandalf. No Nazgul shall follow you” Sarah blessed as Gandalf smiled. His eyes saying a quick thank you. As Merry thrusts a small package into Pippin’s shaking hands.

“Here - something for the road.” Merry told him as Pippin stares down at the leather-bound bundle of PIPE-WEED.

“The last of the Longbottom Leaf.” Pippin spoke

“I know you've run out . . . you smoke too much, Pip.”Merry chuckled as Pippin gulped.

“But we'11 see each other soon?” Pippin asked hopefully. Merry exchanged a glance with Gandalf, as Sarah placed a hand on Merry’s shoulder giving him strength.

“Won't we?” Pippin asked again scared.

“I don't know . . . I don't know what's going to happen.” Merry replied as he took a step back.

“Merry?” Pippin asked his voice rising in panic.

“Run Shadowfax, show us the meaning of haste.” Gandalf commanded.

“Merry!” Pippin shouted out frightened as ShadowFax thunders out of the stables with incredible speed. Merry was devastated, as ShadowFax carries Gandalf and Pippin out of the gate and down the winding road towards the plains of Rohan. Sarah chased after Merry as Merry climbed up the watchtower pushing a soldier out of the way.

“Merry!” Sarah called after him as she pushed the soldier out of the way again. Merry watches as his best friends disappears into the distance without him not knowing if he will ever see him again. Tears pricked Merry’s eyes as Sarah sighed and placed a comforting hand on Merry’s shoulder before she knelt down and pulled him into a hug. He hugged her tightly, as she looked out the way they had disappeared. She rubbed his back as he wept into her shoulder. Now all they had to do was wait for the beacons of Gondor to be lit.....