2| War

Chapter 2: War (Caden's POV)

The bell rang for lunch and we all left the classroom and headed to the field. Believe me when I tell you it's a picnic every day. Seriously. If we don't bring our own blankets to spread out and sit down, the school even provides us with some. 

Roman, Gianna, and I walked to our spot and she pulled out her blanket, spreading it out onto the grass. We all sat down and started talking. Gianna surprisingly brings lunch for us all. And I'm sure you're wondering who Gianna is. Gianna is my... fling? I don't quite know. We have a thing going on. But it's nothing serious and we both agreed to that. We haven't even slept together yet, but we're just... flinging? 

"Can I ask you a question, Caden?" Gianna asked while handing me a ham and cheese sandwich. 

Roman and I exchanged a look before I nodded. 

"What is this feud between you and Venus?" 

I resisted an eye roll. 

"Their families hate each other," Roman shrugged, answering for me. 

"Why?" 

"Because our great grandfathers tried killing each other." 

"So?" she asked. "What does that have to do with you two?" 

"It has to do with our families so it has to do with us," I shrugged, my eyes drifting to the gate of the field which opened as Venus and Remy walked in. Venus was laughing at something while holding the basket with their lunch while Remy clutched their blanket. "Roman, let's play soccer," I said. 

He gave me a blank look. "No," he shook his head. "I know you want to play just to hit her with the ball. Why do you always poke the bear, Caden? She doesn't even say anything to you unless you start it," he said and then rolled his eyes at me. 

"Didn't you see what she did in English to Caden?" Gianna jumped to my defense. 

"I poke the bear because it's fun," I chuckled. "And she ripped my essay to shreds." 

"You took her notebook and threw it out the window. Then you took her notes too. We all know she isn't royalty like you, but you know what her father does, right? Or should I remind you?" 

"I know that he is the boss of the largest weaponry business in Cadara," I rolled my eyes. "What difference does it make?" I turned my gaze back to Venus who was now settling down with Remy in the field. "I'm not interested in her father and his business," I said, my eyes following her every move. "I'm interested in the daughter," I mumbled under my breath so Gianna didn't hear. 

We're not committed or together, but she's a little possessive. 

"Every single day you start some sort of war with her. It's pointless. I'm starting to think you do it because you want to be around her," Roman snorted. 

I shot him a glare and we both turned to Gianna. "Why would he want to be around her?" she scoffed. "Look at her." 

"She looks fine to me, Gianni," I blurted out, blinking away from Venus and back to Gianna. "For who she is," I shrugged and Gianna shrugged it off, flashing me a smile. 

Roman shook his head at me. 

"Gianna!" 

She looked up, spotting her friends calling her to their spot. "I'll be back later," she grinned, pecking my cheek and then skipping away. 

"What?" I asked Roman who was giving me a disapproving look. 

"What are you doing, Caden? Man, seriously. What are you doing?"