33| Heartbeat

Chapter 33: Heartbeat (Venus's POV)

His car slowed down to a stop near the forest and then he turned the ignition off, turning to me. "I did something," he huffed. 

"What did you do?" I asked, chuckling. 

"It's serious." 

"Okay," I said slowly. 

"But before I tell you what I did, have I told you that you look beautiful tonight?" 

"Thank you," I grinned. "Now tell me. What did you do?" 

"In the locker room-" 

"Uh oh," I mumbled. 

"Nate was talking about you. About your body, actually. And you know Finn? You know Finn, right?" 

"Caden, calm down. Yes, I know Finn." 

He huffed, "They were talking about you and then Finn said something how you were off-limits because of me, and then Nate said that wasn't true and that there was nothing going on between us, and then I went out and told him not to bet on that," he rambled, talking the fastest I've ever heard him talk. 

"Not to bet on... the fact that there isn't something going on between us?" I asked. 

He nodded hesitantly. "Which directly insinuates that there is something going on between us." 

I watched him for a moment, slightly confused, a little nervous, but mostly I was just amused. "That's okay," I laughed. 

"It is?" He blinked in surprise. 

"Yeah. Do you have any idea how many people thought we were dating in secret before anything even happened between us?" 

"What? That has happened before?" 

"Yes," I nodded. "There's a reason Remy and Roman always thought we wanted to be around each other, you know?" 

"Oh," he mumbled, staring out the windshield. "Is that how much chemistry we have?" 

"I guess, yeah," I replied, grabbing his arm and turning him to face me again. "Don't worry about it," I laughed, pressing a kiss to his cheek. 

"If you say so," he shrugged, smirking down at me. "I was really worried that you would be mad if someone started thinking we were together because of something I said." 

"Caden," I said slowly. "I don't care if the people in our school find out. The only reason I don't want that to happen is because someone could tell our parents. And that is not something I'm ready to do yet. If there was a way for everyone to know but no one to tell our parents, then you could go around telling whoever you want and I wouldn't care or stop you," I explained. 

"Well, that's good to know," he said, turning his body a little so he was facing me. He leaned in and kissed me, holding it out for a while. "Come on." He stepped out and then got the door for me so I climbed out. He grabbed my hand and locked our fingers, lightly swaying it back and forth as we strolled through the forest, following the path while talking about the most random things. 

"How long is this walk?" I asked, stepping over a giant rock that was randomly in the way. 

"Getting tired already?" he taunted. 

"Sorry, I'm not the athlete," I scoffed while practically dragging my feet behind me. 

He stopped walking abruptly and so I halted beside him. "I can give you a ride," he nodded. 

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Are you sure you can carry me all the way there?" 

"I am the athlete," he smirked.