4| Morals

Chapter 4: Morals (Caden's POV)

I didn't look back at her house once after I left, sneaking out of the mansion's backyard. I'm not supposed to be here. I walked back to the palace, yes the royal family still lives in a palace. But surprisingly, it's not isolated like palaces were in older times. It's just at the end of the neighborhood. The end of Venus's neighborhood. Basically, the rich neighborhood. 

Her family is mighty rich from her dad's business. He produces and sells weaponry across Cadara and all other neighboring kingdoms. Zariya, Velaris, Azura, Nethilore, Merralith, the list goes on. 

The guards opened the large gates for me, bowing their heads. Which is something I hate that they do. The gates closed behind me and I opened the front door with the six-digit code which is my birth date and Axel's birth year. I'm born on April fifteenth, by the way. 

The lights were all off except for the main chandelier which turns off exactly at midnight automatically. I snuck out after dinner to go give the notebook back but the real reason why I went was that I needed that essay. I was not going to write it again just because she ripped it. 

Are you sure there isn't another reason you went there, Caden? 

Of course not. Like what? 

Like you wanting to see her? 

I pinched my arm on my way up the stairs and tiptoed back into my room. 

Why the hell would I want to see her? 

I walked into my room, flicking the lights on as I closed the door, jumping out of my skin when I saw Axel sitting on the bed, reading a book. "What the hell are you doing here?" I asked. 

"Where were you?" he asked, folding his arms across his chest and narrowing his eyes at me. 

"In hell," I replied. "What are you doing in my room?" 

"I was reading?" 

"In the dark?" I deadpanned before glancing at the book. "And what were you reading? And upside down book?" I lay on my stomach, snatching the book from him and straightening it, looking at the cover. "Pride and Prejudice? Where did you find this?" 

"In the library," he admitted. 

"And have you read it?" 

"It was too boring." 

I laughed, putting the book aside. "What are you doing here?" 

"I heard you leaving," he said proudly. 

"If I pay you ten roubles, do you agree that you didn't?" Roubles is our currency. For god knows what reason. I have no idea who came up with that. 

"Pay up, brother." 

"Wow, you really do talk like me," I laughed, grabbing my wallet from my nightstand and taking out a bill. I handed it to him. 

"Can I ask you something?" 

I nodded. 

"What happens if... I say sorry to Clarissa?" 

"Princeton?" I questioned and he nodded. That's Venus's younger sister, they're in the same class, just like Venus and I. "Why did you say sorry to her?" I questioned. 

"Because we were playing tag. The whole class and then I bumped into her by mistake and she fell. She was bleeding here." He pointed to his knee over his Toy Story pajamas. "And it was because of me. So I said sorry." 

"And what did she say?" 

"That it was okay," he shrugged. 

Clarissa is just like Venus in some ways. I don't know how because their parents are not that forgiving, but both of them are.