9| Wine

Chapter 9: Wine (Venus's POV)

"Venus, honey!" 

I stood up from the couch where Clarissa and I were watching Thumbelina and walked over to the front door where my mother was calling me from. 

"This is your dress for tonight. Take it upstairs." 

"Tonight?" I blinked in confusion. "Oh! Mr. Hudson's party, right. Sorry, I forgot. When do we leave?" 

"Seven sharp. Be ready by then, hmm?" 

I nodded, taking my dress up to my room. Until five, we killed time. 

At five, I went to shower and started getting ready. I straightened my hair, I shaved, hell, I even exfoliated. And then I started doing my makeup. Makeup is something I adore and I love doing it. I don't get enough opportunities to play around with it though. Mostly for parties like this one, I just have to do a nude, soft, glowy look. So that's what I end up doing. Even tonight. 

I put on the final swipe of lipgloss and then put everything back into its assigned spots in my vanity. Then I took the dress. I locked my door and changed in the room. The dress was pretty and fancy enough but not too fancy. It wasn't a ball gown. Just a dress. I then put on silver heels because they went better with the dress. I sprayed my favorite vanilla perfume and then headed downstairs. 

My dad was waiting for my mother while Clarissa was spinning in circles, enjoying the flow of her dress. I went and sat beside my dad. "The Lockes will be there tonight, damn it," he groaned. 

"Why do we give them so much importance?" I asked. "So what if they'll be there? We can just ignore them, right?" 

"We can ignore them, but we can't fall under them." 

"We already do, dad. They're the royal family," I deadpanned. 

"So what? We're just as respected and rich as they are," he scoffed. 

"That's true. But we aren't leading this country. Not to mention, we don't live in a palace. And nor do I want to," I chuckled. 

"You just stay away from that Carden boy, okay?" 

I nodded as my mother finally came downstairs. And then we all left. My dad drove himself, my mom sat shotgun, and Clarissa and I settled in the back. "Don't run around too much at the hotel, okay?" I told Clarissa, brushing fuzz out of her hair. 

She nodded, looking out the window. 

The party is at a hotel and is being held in the banquet hall. So, chances are. I'll slip out halfway through and walk around to catch a break from all the chit-chat people do around me. 

When we got there, inside the hall, most of the guests were already there and the rich, special ones were still coming in. 

"Tanner!" Mr. Hudson exclaimed, coming to greet us. But then halting. "Pierce," he chuckled. 

I looked over, seeing the Lockes standing right beside us. Now poor Mr. Hudson won't know who to greet first. He looked between the two families, clearly in a dilemma. And my father won't bow down and let him greet Mr. Pierce first. Even if he's the king. The king can be damned, he'll say. 

"Oh dear," Mr. Hudson mumbled. 

I rolled my eyes, stepping forward. "Congratulations on your daughter's wedding, Mr. Hudson," I smiled. 

"Oh thank you," he sighed in relief, giving me a quick hug. 

As a Princeton, I got the first greeting. I looked over at the Lockes, flashing Mr. Pierce a smile who was glaring at me. My eyes traveled to Caden who was smirking at me, checking me out.