Chapter 26: The Past Comes To Haunt

When you really love someone, you’ll do anything to be with them. Sometimes it also means letting them go.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

I was soaked wet in the rain, completely drenched and feeling like I have failed everyone, especially myself. I looked at the sea waves that continuously crashed against my bare feet. How did I ended up in this situation, you ask? Well, it actually started this morning in homeroom when a particular person from the past ended up coming back into my life. A certain ex-girlfriend of Jason’s.

         (Hours earlier)

         “Do you think this orange dress looks weird on me?” I asked in an uninterested tone. Basically, my whole cheerleading crew were in my room, insisting that I should try and dress ‘the best’ since I was their cheer captain. I tried talking them out of it because honestly, I didn’t see the point in dressing up. I didn’t want to be ‘special’, I just wanted to be ‘Alison’. But the girls were persistent and so in the end, I had them going through my closet and laying a blue dress and an orange dress on my bed for me to choose.

         I had wore my blue one at Brenda’s New Year’s Party so I decided to just go with the orange one.

         “Oh Alison, you know you look pretty in anything!” Louise waved a hand in the air. I looked at her, she was lying on my bed, hugging onto one of my pillows. There was one thing that my cheer squad and I silently agreed on, that was to never speak of the wedding dresses that Mr Westwood had placed in my room. I didn’t want to look at them so I hid them behind my closet.

         I rolled my eyes, taking off my shirt. I didn’t really care that the girls were in my room because we had changed our clothes in front of each other thousands of times before cheer practice. Right after I took off my shirt, my door opened, revealing Jason in a towel. His hair was still wet and he looked surprised to find the girls in my room. Before he saw me shirtless, I dived for my blanket and wrapped it around me.

           “Allie?”

          “Um here!” I squeaked while tightening the blanket around me, causing the girls to giggle.

          Jason’s eyes widened when he looked at me. “Oh, you’re changing. I am j-just going to wait for you in the car.” He stuttered, slowly closing the door behind him. Then, we heard his footsteps slowly fading away.

          “It’s so cute!” I looked at Haylee who had a dreamy look on her face.

          “What is?”

          “You and Jason! He’s the cute and sweet football captain while you’re the down-to-earth cheer captain. Plus the both of you were best friends, it’s just adorable!” I heard the others giggling and agreeing with her.

          I shook my head. Those girls didn’t know what they were talking about. After changing into my orange dress, I said goodbye to the girls as I rushed downstairs to grab a sandwich and go. Jason was already in his car, waiting for me. He didn’t seem to notice me coming towards the car, then I realized that he had his blue headphones on as he leaned back in his seat with his eyes closed. A peaceful smile was on his face.