Chapter 30: Beneath It All

When you really love someone, you’ll do anything to be with them. Sometimes it also means letting them go.

CHAPTER THIRTY

Alison

          Here I was, back to where I was before Jason and I admitted feelings to each other. That particular football captain was at the usual popular clique’s table while I was at a small table with only Jamie, Brenda, Deanna and Leslie. Matt and the other boys thought that I needed some time alone with the girls so they haven’t been speaking to me much lately.

          “Stop looking at him. He’s not even worth it anymore.” Deanna said, rolling her eyes at Jason. Even though I knew that he had probably moved on by then, I just couldn’t help but feeling lonely and hurt. The rumours circling around school weren’t helping me feeling better at all. Just two days ago I’ve heard a girl saying that Jason and Rachel were going out but I knew that was probably not true because every night, I would spot him in his room talking to John or one of the boys.

          I never listen into their conversations though because I didn’t really see the need to do that. We were over and so that meant I didn’t really have the right to pry into his business anymore. But according to Jamie, Matt said that Jason wasn’t really acting himself. The players of Nathanville High complained that their captain didn’t really focused on the last game, causing them to lose by five points. As for me, I had been skipping cheer practice for quite a number of times. Instead of complaining about me, they practiced among themselves even when I wasn’t present.

          “You’re not exactly helping.” Leslie shot Deana a look. Deana gave me an apologetic look before stuffing her food in her mouth. I shook my head, telling her that it was alright. 
         “By the way, Keith wants to meet you in two minutes.” Deana said, looking at her watch before her eyes flickered back to me. “At your locker.”
         “Okay, bye guys.” I said, forcing a smile, taking my tray with me. After dumping all the untouched contents of my tray, I began to jogged towards to the entrance of the cafeteria.

          Unfortunately for me, I wasn’t exactly looking at where I was heading and basically crashed into someone. “I am so sorry! I didn’t mean to-“ All the words that I was about to blabber disappeared when I realized who I crashed into. His blue eyes looked at mine with no emotion while mine was a mixture of emotions. His lips formed a thin line before he shook his head and walked away with his friends.

          Like an idiot, I stood there, wondering if that really happened.

          “You’re late, you’re supposed to meet me five minutes ago!” Keith said, crossing his arms, giving me a disappointed look. I gave him a sheepish look before dropping my hands to my side and looked at my shoes. “Don’t worry, it’s nothing important. I’m going to take you to the beach tonight. You need to loosen up.”

          I bit my lip from saying anything. I didn’t want to go anywhere with any other guy besides Jason, but deep down I knew that being depressed like this wasn’t exactly healthy. So I just nodded. A satisfied smile crossed his lips before he ruffled my hair, said goodbye and walked away from where I was.