Chapter 27: The Breakup

When you really love someone, you’ll do anything to be with them. Sometimes it also means letting them go.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Now I was definitely soaked through. Plus I was wearing a white shirt so the fact that anyone could see my bra color underneath, wasn’t at all comforting. I was beginning to regret running out from the house without even thinking of bringing a jacket with me. So let’s continue on how I got here, shall we?

(Two hours ago)

          Neil and I looked at each other when we heard the sound of the front door slamming. I thought that maybe Jason had got tired of Rachel and decided to come back. The three of us ran downstairs quickly, not caring that we left my bedroom door wide open. But when I reached the living room, my heart stopped momentarily as I found my boyfriend lying on the couch, completely passed out and drunk. Rachel just sat beside his body and stroked his hair with a smile on her face, like she was satisfied of something.

          “Oh good, you’re here! I actually want to talk to you about something.” Rachel’s eyes drifted to mine as she said it. Rachel nodded at the kitchen and I figured that she wanted a private talk.

          So I went to the kitchen and waited for her. Jamie came with me too which made Rachel narrowed her eyes. “I want to talk to her privately, Jamie. Do you not understand that?” This was why Jason broke up with Rachel in the first place. She had this demanding, bossy attitude of hers that drive people frustrated. Jason got so frustrated with her that one night, he just told her to go back to England and leave him because he was tired of him.

          “Whatever you say to Alison, you can say to me. Unless it’s something bad and wrong like blackmailing her?” I knew Jamie said that because Myra tried blackmailing people before and she didn’t want Rachel to be doing the same thing to me. I wanted to tell her that I would know how to handle it if Rachel decided to blackmail. But knowing Jamie, she wouldn’t listen and would insist on staying.

          “Whatever. Alison, why are you being so selfish?” I tensed up. Me? Being selfish? “I know you love Jason and all, but you’re getting married! In the end, you’re going to leave him and he’s going to get heartbroken. How could you be so cruel?” Was I being cruel? True, I had one year of being a senior in high school to be with Jason, but what would happen after I graduate? Mr Westwood would surely insist that they start the wedding as soon as possible. Then what would happen to Jason? How could I have been so selfish to not realize that...in the end I would be breaking his heart? Maybe Myra had been doing a favour for me by trying to take him away from me...

          “Alison-“ Jamie started to say, but Rachel cut her off.

         “I suggest you stop this before it’ll be more painful for him. You know him best, Alison. You know that moving on for him is a hard thing to do. Do you really want him to face that? Do you really want him to see you get married while he’s being left alone?” I couldn’t stand it anymore. I couldn’t bear to hear any more of her words. I rushed out of the kitchen, hearing Jamie calling after my name. I passed by Jason who looked more sober than before. He saw me running pass him and he looked at me, worried.

          “Allie?” I heard him call my name. Without thinking much, I ran out of my house and grabbed my bike. I heard Jamie and Neil shouting at me, asking me to go back and talk about it calmly. But I wanted to be alone, far away from everyone. I pedalled as quick as I could, not really thinking of where I was heading. But by the time I stopped pedalling, I realized that this was where no one else would find me. The beach. I hadn’t even realized I was crying until I felt tear drops falling on my hands.

          I placed the bike under a tree as I ran towards the waves. I wanted to scream everything out, but they caught in my throat and turned into sobs. My legs gave away and I fell to my butt as I sat on the fine sand. The sea waves splashed against my legs. I thought nothing else could have made it worse, but before I knew it, the rain started pouring, causing my white shirt to be soaked through.

          After crying for a long time, I could no longer produce tears so I just sit there in the rain. I knew that I could never break up with him, so the only way was for him to break up with me. It was going to hurt, but at least he would move on and be happy, right?

           ~~

          “Are you sure you’re okay with this, Allie?” Jason asked me for the third time.

          “Yeah I’m sure. Go have fun.” I said, hoping that it wasn’t obvious that I was forcing a grin.

          “Allie, you’ve been avoiding me for days and all of a sudden you insist me on going on a date with Rachel? Don’t you have even a little bit of jealousy in you? You’re acting more like my best friend than my girlfriend!”

          “I’m sorry.”

           “Seems to me you don’t want to be my girlfriend anymore.”

          “Are you breaking up with me?” I knew that it had to come. I knew that it would hurt, but I never knew how much it would hurt me until it really happened. I didn’t want to look right in his eyes, fearing of what I would see in them. Fury? Anger? Hurt? I didn’t want to see any of them in him.

           “Maybe I am.”

          My body became numb, my mind barely processing what was happening. Before I could take back my words, Jason muttered, “We’re done” and left homeroom. I didn’t know where he was going, I didn’t know if I was going to be okay. My heart ached, I wanted to feel him, I wanted to hear him tell me that everything was alright. But I knew that could not happen or else I would just be selfish.

          I didn’t even know if he left school early. By lunch time, somehow the news of our break up had spread around the whole school. Many people asked me if it was true and why did we broke up. Instead of answering them, I was just lost in my own thoughts, completely shutting everyone out. Our lunch table was quiet. No one was talking, the usual chatter from my band mates were absent and so were the giggles from my cheer squad.

          “Hey guys, what’s up?” I looked up and found Rachel standing there with a tray of food. I gave her an emotionless glance before I went back to staring at my food. Jamie, on the other hand, got mad and basically started a food fight at Nathanville High.

         “Hope you’re happy!” Jamie shouted at her before throwing spilling ketchup all over her. 

A/N: This is more of a filler chapter. Next one would be longer! :D