Chapter 33: Til the end

Falling in love is the single most expressive feeling a person can have. Losing that love suddenly, can be the most painful feeling a person can have.

Chapter 33

Alison

"I do." Tears were in my eyes as I watched Deana said those two words that changed her life forever. Deana had been pretty, beautiful even. But in that white wedding dress, she looked almost like a princess as her dress swished against the red carpeted floor. Seeing the groom made me even more happy. Just last year everyone discovered that he had been secretly crushing on Deana. It was also last year when John finally asked her out.

From the altar, John smiled at me as his fingers intertwined with Deana's. He briefly modded at Jason's who sat beside me and mouthed, "It will be your turn." My cheeks started to warm as a picture of me in a white dress and Jason standing at the altar came into my head. I looked at the boy I fell in love with and a small smile appeared on my face. Whatever happens, whether I ended up with Jason or not, he would always have a special place in my heart.

"Allie, look." He whispered, pointing at another friend of mine who sat across the table with his girlfriend. Instead of paying attention to the wedding going on, his eyes were fully set on Myra. As Myra sat in her seat, watching Deana and John with a smile on her face, Keith was looking at her, as if he was afraid someone would show up and snatch her away. I was about to get up and maybe start a conversation with them when someone grabbed my arm.

Jason nodded at the exit of the mansion and beckoned me to follow him. I sighed, even at the age of twenty, Jason haven't even change one bit. Grabbing my cellphone, I followed after Jason, wishing that I could walk faster in my dress. Once we were outside, he stopped walking and just stood there, staring at the night sky. The sounds of the celebration were like distant as I stood this close behind him. I felt like I was sixteen again, falling for him again.

"Allie, I wanted to give this to you when we were eighteen but we had loads of drama back then and I waited till now to give this to you." He said without turning around. He reached into his pocket and produced a white sheet of paper with his handwriting on it. Curiosity filled me as I watched him unfold it and handed it to me. Without hesitating, I grabbed it from him and read it.

'Dear Allie Cat,

We may love the wrong person and cry for the wrong reason, but one thing is for sure, mistakes help us to find the right person. After so many past lovers, I finally found the right person for me. I just want you to know, you caught my attention since the first day I came to Nathanville. When I saw you singing with your friends as you walk into the school, I wanted to get to know you better. I didn't make the first move to know you because I was shy.

Once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around. You tell them things that you've never shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more. You share hopes for the future, dreams that will never come true, goals that were never achieved and the many disappointments life has thrown at you.

When something wonderful happens, you can't wait to tell them about it, knowing that they will share in your excitement. They are not embarrassed to cry with you when you are hurting or laugh with you when you make a fool of yourself. Never do they hurt your feelings or make you feel like you are not good enough, but rather they build you up and show you the things about yourself that make you special and even beautiful.

There is never any pressure, jealousy or competition but only a quiet calmness when they are around. You can be yourself and not worry about what they will think of you because they love you for who you are. The things that seem insignificant to most people such as a note, song or walk become invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever. Memories of your childhood come back and are so clear and vivid it's like being young again.

Colours seem brighter and more brilliant. Laughter seems part of daily life before it was infrequent or didn't exist at all. You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you do. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky, gentle wind or even a storm cloud on the horizon. You open your heart knowing that there's a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible.

Love is when you can't be apart from someone for too long. Love is sadness, joy, passion, hatred, excitement, it's almost every feeling you can imagine and more. You know love when you find it, it's that person that when they smile it brightens up your day. You can't stop staring at them for fear of losing them, they're always on your mind. You can't tell when love will happen, you just know when it does..that moment when you first lay eyes on that person, and never want to look away. That is love, nothing less.'

After reading the paper in my hands, I looked at him with tears in my eyes. That was the most beautiful thing I've ever read and believe me, I have read quite a number of romance novels. He was facing me, but his eyes were fixed on the ground, not willing to meet my eyes. "Jason?" He glanced at me and then I realised he was afraid of my reaction to the letter.

"I'm sorry if its too cheesy. I know you're not exactly the cheesy type of person but that's really what I feel and yeah..." He let himself trail off as he stuffed his hand in his pockets.

"I have something to say too..but I didn't write it down so I'm just gonna say it here." I smiled nervously before clearing my throat. "I love you for the person you are, I love you for the things you do, I love you for the things you say. But most of all I love you because you love me for the person I am, for the things I do and for the things I say. I love you." I said the last three words in a whisper but it was loud enough for the both of us to hear.

"Dang it Allie." I looked up, surprised of his reaction. In a second, he wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in my hair. "Trust you to make the situation even more cheesy."

I smiled, relieved that he wasn't mad at me. "Should I name my pet hamster 'cheesy' too?"

"Shut up and just enjoy the moment, would you?" And I did. Even years after, I still had a clear memory of that night. Every word in that letter was imprinted in my mind.

Love is like friendship set on fire. Undoubtedly, a girl and a guy can just be friends. But in some cases like mine, they can fall in love too, with someone whom they have known as a friend for years, the experience becomes all the more worthwhile. Firstly, the level of mutual understanding is commendable. Apart from that, they get to experience a whole new side of their best friend's personality. They get to see their romantic side too which is unusual and exciting at the same time.

It is difficult to find a best friend in a boyfriend or a girlfriend. But some people easily manage it the other way round. They are lucky enough to have all the important people in their life packed in one soul. Their relationships are slightly different and fascinating, as compared to others.

I am Alison. And I know falling in love with your best friend, it's like having the best of both worlds.

_______________________________________________

The end. Thanks for reading All About Us :)