Chapter 14: Ex-girlfriend

So, I'm going to let you guys pick. KEITH OR JASON. The guy with the most votes would be the one Alison ends up with :) 

- Jackie 

Chapter 14: Ex-girlfriend

     Alison

     "Deep breathe, you can do this." Deana and I told each other. We were in her car, taking deep breaths, trying to calm ourselves down. After last night's facebook drama, the school had organized a small assembly for Deana and Myra to make a speech and let the school vote for their school president. Everyone was notified last night and Deana had been freaking out since last night. I doubt she even had a good night's rest. 

     "Alright, let's get out." Deana sounded calm and all, but her hands were shaking alot. I pulled on the skirt I borrowed from Deana and pulled the cardigan around my tank top. It wasn't exactly my type of clothing, but it was nice to have a change. The moment I got out from the car, I could feel a few stares from students. I knew Deana must be dealing with much more stares because of everything that has happened. From the parking lot, I could see Myra and the cheerleaders chatting happily at the entrance. The worst part was that Jason was right beside her. Even though he kept a distance between him and Myra, Myra obviously didn't get the message. 

     When Deana and I passed them, Jason's eyes snapped to my direction. He raised an eyebrow and mouthed "What the heck?" Instead of answering him, I just looked away and walked towards my locker. 

     Surprisingly, I found Keith leaning against my locker, crossed-arm. "Keith?" A smile made it's way to his lips. "What are you doing here?" I asked him, realizing that he was wearing a blue hoodie. It was the exact same one that I've given Jason during the first Christmas we spent together. 

     "My cousin told me to meet you and her here." Keith shrugged. 
     Behind me, Deana caught up to me with her books in her hand. "Good, you guys met. After the assembly, I have a surprise for the both of you. So we'll meet here later." I looked at Deana then at Keith. They were cousins?!

     "No one told me you guys were related!" Keith laughed at my response and shrugged. Just at that moment, the bell rang, indicating that it was time for class. The students were already disappearing one by one into their respective homeroom. Deana and I were in the same homeroom so after we bid Keith adios, the both of us hurried to the class. 

     Homeroom was terrible. As Deana and I entered through the door, the students started whispering more. Jamie and Matt who were sitting at their usual spot at the back of the class looked at me with confusion and anger. I felt guilty all of a sudden, like it was my fault that all this was happening. But at the same time, I knew it wasn't entirely my fault. It wasn't my fault that I've became friends with Deana. It wasn't my fault that I got a puppy from Keith. It wasn't my fault that I was ignoring them either. 

     The minute the bell rang, my hands started to shake again. As the students lined up to get into the auditorium, I spotted Mrs Owen waving at me, asking me to get over to her. I pulled on Deana's shirt and led us accross the students to Mrs Owen. She smiled at me warmly before doing the same to Deana. "The both of you may sit at the front. I understand how Deana would be making a speech later on, but girls I have to warn you about Myra. She may look sweet and all, just be careful of her." Mrs Owen told us. 

     "Myra has lots of surprises, alright." I heard Deana said as the both of us sat down at the front rows. My band were also at the front row, but none of them except John glanced at me. I knew most of them were still mad at me, but I wasn't willing to be the first one to apologize. I also spotted Myra laughing with the cheerleaders at the corner and as expected, Jason was sitting right next to her. If I hadn't squint to see, I wouldn't have realize that his smile and laughter were fake. Forced. Why was he forcing himself to be nice to Myra? Because he knew what it was like to be new in Nathanville High.

     Was he treating her that way just because she was new in school? 

     I didn't know, and I wasn't sure if I would ever know. After Myra gave her speech about how she was going to treat every student in Nathanville High equally if she were to be school president, the students actually cheered for her. Basically Myra was using all of Deana's past mistake against her to win the whole thing. It wasn't fair, because Deana didn't have a chance to start over again and treat them right. 

     When it was Deana's turn, I grabbed her hand and gave her an encouraging smile. "Just don't worry. If you're not school president anymore, then the bright side would be having more time to go shopping with me." She chuckled and nodded before going up onto the platform. 

     "Em, hey students of Nathanville High. I just wanna say thanks for the role of school president for the past few years." She gulped. "Anyways, I just want to say sorry for the past mistakes I've did. I'm also sorry to the smart students who I've teased. I'm sorry to the chess club, I love chess but I never really admit it. I'm sorry to the girls who I've called ugly, you guys are actually pretty, I never should've said that. I'm sorry to the guys I've used and dumped. It wasn't very nice and you guys deserve a sweet girl. This isn't much of a speech to win back my role as school president. I actually want to apologize for my past mistakes. A friend taught me that there are people out there who could be my real friends. That's it." 

     As Deana walked down the platform, to my surprise, the amount of cheers that were given to Deana were more than Myra's. Deana smiled at the crowd and grinned. She turned to me and mouthed a 'thank you' before the both of us exit the auditorium. Deana dialed a number and spoke, "Mary, please help us with our luggage? You're coming too, Mary. Yeah, cousin Keith too. See you later, Mary."

     "Let's go." Keith said when he saw us. After exiting the building, I saw a silver Porsche. "That's mine." I heard Keith said. I guess it wasn't really surprising, now that I found out he and Deana were related. He must've come from a rich family too. The both of us climbed to the back seat as Keith  took the wheel. 

     "Oh how I missed Paris!" Deana giggled as she said. We were going to Paris? That was the surprise? 

     "What about my parents? Won't they get worried?" I started asking numerous questions but Deana clasped a hand over my mouth. 

     "They have been notified. Don't worry. I told them that it was only for four days." I felt more relieved that my parents actually know where I was going to be. I couldn't imagine how my mother would react if she didn't know where I was for four days. 

     We met up with Mary at the airport, she already had all our luggage ready. She gave Keith a warm hug and said, "You have grown, little K. Last time I saw you, you were a little boy!" 

     "ALISON?!" I heard a familiar shriek ringing through my ears. It had been a year since I last heard that voice. 

     "Hey Rachel..." I faked a smile at the blonde girl who was walking my way. 

     "You still friends with Jason?" Of course the first thing that she asked was about him. 

     She was his ex-girlfriend, after all.