Chapter 28 - Empty

Diana has fallen asleep on Theo's shoulder. The third task was boring compared to the others and they students just waited for the winner to, well, show up. She was finally awoken by deafening applause.

"Hey Harry and Cedric are back!" Theo helped her stand up with the rest of the crowd.

"Harry won!" Diana cheered and smiled wildly until she finally saw him over the crowd.

He was lying in the ground next to Cedric. He looked terrified and cheers started to die down when people realized what had happened.

Cedric was dead.

What was cheers turned to silence as everyone put the pieces together. Dumbledore hovering over them, the minister of magic looking around anxiously next to them, no one hoisting the cup in victory.

A horrified scream pierced the silence, then another. Broken sobs filled the air. Diana looked around in disbelief as tears slipped down her face. Her gaze finally landed on Theo, who had his head in his hands. No one knew what had happened.

Theo wrapped Diana in his arms protectively as the minister started to address the crowd. She buried her head in his chest and tuned out the rest of the world. This had gotten too real too fast.

For the first time in months she thought of Ilvermorny. The craziest thing that had ever happened there was the headmasters office disappearing. She craved normalcy in chaos. Something that felt sane, boring even. But no. This was Hogwarts. A boy no more than 2 years older than her just died. One of her best friends was the boy who lived. And they were on the brink of war.

They stayed like that until the students were told to go back to the castle.

"You've been quiet." Theo said softly as they made their way down the stands.

"I-"

"Go." Theo cut her off. "I'll see you tomorrow okay?" He was looking ahead of them in the crowd; Hermione and Ron were waving to her desperately.

Diana looked at Theo longingly and kissed him deeply before running to catch up with Ron and Hermione.

===

The walk back to the castle was more like a run for the trio.

"You don't think You-Know-" Hermione started as they ran up the hill.

"I don't know Hermione one thing at a time." Diana prayed Hermione was wrong but had a sinking suspicion she was onto something.

Ron agreed, "Let's just make sure Harry's okay first."

They arrived at the hospital wing sweaty and out of breath only for Harry not to be there. The three sat on a cot in silence until Mrs. Wealsey and Bill arrived shortly after.

"Well? Where is he?" Mrs. Weasley demanded. Diana and Ron shrugged; Hermione stayed quiet. "Poppy!"

Madam Pomfrey peeked out from her office and walked quickly over to the group.

"Well where is he?" they started to argue.

"You three alright?" Bill asked.

"No." Diana said flatly.

Ron patted her back comfortingly while waving Bill off. He then tentatively put an arm around Hermione who's emotions had caught up to her and was now sobbing. Diana nudged Ron and smirked. Ron rolled his eyes and smacked her arm.

Diana stood up to join Mrs. Weasley and Madam Pompfrey when the doors to the hospital wing opened.

Mrs. Weasley let out a strangled sigh and started to make her way over to Dumbledore, Harry and "Sirius," Diana sighed. She didn't care how he was there but she was glad he was. The black dog lumbered over to her and licked her hand. She scratched his ears and said, "Harry needs you more," sending him back.