Chapter 3 - The Sorting

After an 11 year old fell in the lake they finally reached the opposite shore. It was completely dark now. Diana was shivering from the cold as they made their way up to the school.

Diana looked around at the grounds and decided that Ilvermorny was much better than this. She was being biased of course but from the lifeless uniform to the wet first year next to her she decided it was only fair. If she were back home she and Paige would be laughing as the first years who got scared by the wampus statue's roar. But no Diana Black was no longer in America. Instead she was across the pond at a snobby and pretentious school. No one cared about blood at Ilvermorny but she knew it was different here.

They finally made it to the entrance hall and Diana once again looked at her surroundings. There were about 70 eleven year olds shivering with anxiety and cold around her. All of them were very nervous to see which house they ended up in. Diana felt the same way but decided not to show this fear. Instead she made her way over to the edge of the crowd and leaned back on the wall next to her while she admired the architecture.

After a couple minutes a middle aged witch in emerald green robes came over to address the group of new students.

"Good Evening students. My name is Professor McGonagall. The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall you will be sorted into your Houses." Professor McGonagall then explained to the first years the houses and how your house is like your family. And there's a house cup and a point system blah blah blah. Most of this stuff Neville already told Diana on the train.

With that the stern professor led them into the Great Hall. All eyes immediately turned to Diana. Well probably the first years and then Diana but she stuck out like a sore thumb over the eleven year olds. As they walked to the end of the hall Diana heard whispers around her and became extremely paranoid. She only caught a few words like transfer, ilvermorny, pureblood, and american. Diana kept moving down the great hall trying to ignore the whispers she left in her wake.

Sitting before them was a four legged stool with the manky hat her father described to her on top of it. Diana was unsure on how this would work but it was made clear to her when the hat started singing. It was a long and winded song about the houses and how they must unite. Diana became more and more uneasy as it went on and on and on. Finally it ended.

Once it ended Professor McGonagall started to announce names to be sorted. First was Ackerly, Stewart (Ravenclaw). Then Baddock, Malcolm (Slytherin). It caught Diana by surprise when the next name called was hers.

"Black, Diana"

She cursed herself for not realizing it was in alphabetical order. As she sat on the stool she heard more and more whispers around her. Surely she couldn't be Black as in Sirius Black. She has to be at least 14 why is she here now?

Professor McGonagall placed the hat on Diana's head. She instantly felt it stiffen up around her. And then to her amazement it spoke directly to her. She was under the impression it would just yell out a house.

"Ah an american. And a Black. How interesting. A Pukwudgie. You would make a good Hufflepuff yes but you chose Pukwudgie for its healing legacy, nothing else. You are intelligent yes but you wouldn't fit in in Ravenclaw. A pureblood like the rest of your family of course, also rather ambitious. Perhaps Slytherin" - Diana cringed - "no? Well you are impulsive, yes, and brave too. You leave me with no choice but GRYFFINDOR!"

Professor McGonagall took the hat off Diana's head and smiled at her while pointing her to the table of gold and maroon. Diana let out a massive sigh of relief and walked over to join her new housemates. She saw Neville and immediately walked over to him.