Chapter 29 - The Astronomy Tower (again)

The sun was starting to cast a faint glow as it rose. Diana walked through the corridors as the sunlight started to creep in through the windows. Each step she took felt heavier and heavier until she was barely moving at all.

There was no need to worry about being seen or getting in trouble, the hallways were deserted; even peeves had retreated to his dwelling. It was around 5 am when Diana finally reached her destination.

She stared blankly at the wall in front of her. It wasn't too late to turn around but she wouldn't. She knew what had to be done. Another minute passed as she thought of a password but ultimately drew a blank and decided to knock on the wall and hope someone was in the common room.

She knocked and at first nothing happened. Her first was still raised and about to knock again when the door appeared and opened.

"You."

Daphne Greengrass was standing in front of her. Of course.

"Can you get Theo for me? Please." Diana asked with gritted teeth.

"No."

Diana took a deep breath and realized what she was asking. It was 5 in the morning. Someone died last night. Theo was probably asleep. This was not the time even if she was going to lose her nerve. "Never mind," she sighed. Daphne rolled her eyes and Diana turned to leave.

"What's going on Daph?" Blaise had just appeared over her shoulder. "Black? I'll grab Nott, hang on, he's down here somewhere." He turned and pulled Daphne back into the common room shutting the door entirely. Diana blinked and waited.

The door finally opened again and out walked Theo in flannel pajama bottoms and a t- shirt. He looked good in them.

"Hey sorry Daph answered the door it's a long story," He hugged her and she relaxed in his arms a little forgetting about what would happen next. "I was staying up in the common room I thought you might show up and Blaise kept me company and well Daph was just there I guess." Diana didn't even notice he called her Daph, like a friend. "So what's up?"

"Come on let's go to an old spot." Diana took his hand and started leading him to the Astronomy tower. On the way she told him what had happened, about how Cedric was dead because of Voldemort's return and other details. Diana finished as they arrived at the top of the Astronomy Tower.

It was a little muggy and humid but overall a beautiful morning. The sun had fully risen now and cast a warm light over the grounds. The maze was a shadow in the distance. Diana stood in front of the guard rail and looked out at what was in front of her. She couldn't bring herself to look at Theo who stood with his hands in his pockets next to her.

An uncomfortable silence settled over them for several minutes. "We don't have to end like this," Theo broke the silence.

"Yes, we do." Diana put her head in her hands.

"Can you stop acting so mature for a minute and look at me." He grabbed her chin and gently forced it towards him. She still wouldn't meet his eyes. "Look at me." She obliged and the second she did a tear slipped from her eye and landed on his hand. In that moment she truly saw the consequences of her actions. She has seen Theo hurt before but not like this. It was a sad hurt not an angry hurt. His forehead was creased but his cheeks were almost completely relaxed. His eyes were glassy.

"Please Theo don't make this more difficult than it has to be." Diana pleaded.

"I really thought you were going to change your mind. Guess my plan didn't work then huh?" He let out a sad laugh and Diana sighed and shook her head with a sad smile.

"I guess not." Diana grabbed his face with both hands and looked him in the eye, "Don't lose yourself Theo, don't let your father change you. You're not a blood supremacist. You're a good person okay?"

"You know I would never support them. I promise."

Diana kissed his cheek and hugged him for the last time. "I love you Theo."

"I love you too."

They lingered for a minute and before Diana could change her mind about anything she pulled away and patted his cheek and left. She didn't feel anything until she made it down the stairs of the tower. It caught up to her and heavy tears were falling down her face. She tried to hold it together until she made it to the common room which proved to be difficult. A few early risers were milling through the hallways now and Diana kept morphing to blend in not wanting to be spotted.

She was almost sobbing when she reached the common room and hurried upstairs to her, thankfully, empty dorm. She was about to go to sleep to sedate herself but caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror which ultimately made things worse.

Her hair was a deep brown, a color she hadn't seen in recent years. Her eyes were no longer bright blue but a dull gray. Face Paint was still smeared on her face from the night before. She looked as if all the life she had was taken from her. Which it was truthfully. Theo was everything to her and everything she wished she could've said caught up to her.

"One day." She said to herself, "One day to pity yourself and be sad and cry and then turn it off." she nodded to herself and settled into bed where she would stay for the next day.

===

She slept for hours until the sun began to peak through the window signifying it was nearly noon. The sun cascaded over eyelids and she stayed still in the warmth for a minute pretending it was a normal day. Finally she let go of the delusion and sat up. Hermione was sitting in her bed reading. Ginny, surprisingly, was next to her reading witch weekly on the floor. They looked up at her.

"Hey there she is!" Ginny smiled.

A smile twinged at Diana's lips at her friend but was quickly overtaken by grief as she saw the girl she first told about Theo. A sob furrowed her brow and scrunched up her nose and she started crying again.

"Oh my god." Ginny shook Hermione's leg to get her attention.

"Ginny what did you do?" Hermione stood up as both girls went to sit next to Diana.

"I didn't do anything!"

Diana sniffled, "I broke up with Theo."

Ginny's eyes widened. "What why?"

Hermione rubbed Diana's back soothingly as she explained what had happened.

"Yikes talk about tough decisions." Ginny cringed. Hermione swatted at her.

"Do you want to go get some food? It might make you feel better."

Diana shook her head not wanting to risk seeing Theo.

"Ron knows half of it already, but you guys can tell him and Harry what really happened. All everyone else needs to know is that we broke up. I'll be fine tomorrow."

They looked at her skeptically.

"I promise." Diana said to them though it was more to herself. "I just want to be alone right now I think." The girls nodded and gave her a quick hug before leaving Diana with her thoughts.

So much left unsaid but this is how it has to be.