Chapter 38 - The Beginning of Fifth Year

"The Great Hall never ceases to amaze me." said Diana before Luna drifted off to the Ravenclaw table. Diana noticed people were ducking their heads into whispers as they passed and she shot an uneasy look to Harry who pretended like he didn't notice. Ginny gave Diana's arm a squeeze and said goodbye to the others and joined her fellow fourth years at the Gryffindor table. Eventually Diana, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville found some seats together between Nearly Headless Nick and Lavender and Parvati.

"He's not there."

Harry was right, Hagrid was nowhere to be seen. They whispered back and forth debating what it could be before deciding he must still be on a mission for Dumbledore.

"Who's that?" Hermione frowned while pointing to a toad looking woman at the staff table.

"Someone who doesn't know other colors but pink exist?" Diana ventured.

"No, it's that Umbridge woman!" Harry exclaimed.

"Who?" asked Hermione, while Diana gestured to him to continue.

"She was at my hearing, she works for Fudge!"

"Nice cardigan," Ron smirked. Diana let out a chuckle.

"She works for Fudge!" Hermione frowned. "No, no, no..."

Diana, Harry, and Ron all looked at each other and shrugged as the first years entered the Great Hall.

"Oh boy, here we go." Diana said as they finally reached the end of the hall. The Sorting Hat inhaled and burst into a long winded song. After several long minutes the song stopped and the Great Hall hesitated but did applaud with some whispers.

"Branched out a bit this year hasn't it?" said Ron with raised eyebrows.

"Well, is it usually like last year's?" Diana asked. The boys nodded.

"I wonder if it's ever given warnings before?" Hermione said anxiously.

Nearly Headless Nick was about to chime in, but the sorting continued. Dumbledore gave his brief opening remarks and the feast began. Hermione and Ron continued to talk to Nearly Headless Nick who said the Hat would often give warnings when the school was in danger. Diana didn't pay attention, she instead was thinking about her parents and was worried it had been a week since she'd heard from them. Everyone constantly assured her they were fine, but she couldn't know details for her own safety.

Dumbledore had started introducing the new staff when she started to pay attention again, "... We are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." The students clapped reluctantly and waited for Dumbledore to continue.

"Tryouts for the house Quidditch teams will take place on the-" Ron and Diana looked at each other and smiled, unfortunately the moment was cut short by a "Hem hem" indicating Professor Umbridge wanted to make a speech.

Diana scowled and was interested to see the other professors looked just as surprised.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome." She began in a rather shrill voice.

"What the fuck?" Diana whispered to Hermione who just shook her head.

Umbridge continued, "Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts I must say? And to see such happy little faces looking up at me! I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all and I'm sure we will be very good friends!" No students were in fact smiling.

"How long do you think it took her to memorize this?" Diana leaned back and whispered to Ron who let out a quiet laugh.

Umbridge continued, "The Ministry of Magic..."