Chapter 35 - Prefects

The days leading up to Harry's hearing the house was filled with anxiety. Amazingly, Diana, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were filled in on what the order had been up to, for the most part. They helped Mrs. Weasley clean the house and finished their school work. Diana continued to train hard for quidditch tryouts with Ron. She also continued to hang out with Fred but they both agreed it was best to stay friends as school started.

"'Mione, they're not going to expel him would you please relax," Diana murmured. Hermione's anxiety was putting her on edge.

"Honestly, Fred and I have done way worse and have made it to seventh year," George called across the table. Lunch was being served.

Shortly after Harry had returned to Grimmauld place and shared the good news that he had been cleared on all charges.

"I knew it!" Ron yelled with his mouth full, punching the air. "You always get away with stuff like this." Diana rolled her eyes and patted Harry on the back.

"They were bound to clear you," Hermione stuttered.

"Like she wasn't pissing her pants a second ago," Diana whispered to Ron before walking to bring her plate to the sink. He snorted.

"Everyone seems quite relieved, though, considering they all knew I'd get off," Harry smiled widely.

"He got off, he got off, he got off,-" Ginny started, soon followed by Diana, George, and Fred. A Sort of war dance followed as they stood in a circle spinning and chanting.

"That's enough settle down," Mr. Weasley shouted, though seeming visibly at ease. "Listen, Sirius, Lucius Malfoy was at the Ministry-"

"What?" Sirius said sharply. He had remained rather quiet until now.

Diana and the others continued not hearing any of this. "He got off, he got off, he got off, he got off-"

"Enough you four! Yes, we saw him talking to Fudge on level nine, then they went into Fudge's office together. Dumbledore ought to know."

"Absolutely," Sirius agreed, "We'll tell him, don't worry."

"He got off, he got off, he got off," They continued between laughs.

"That's enough - Fred - George - Ginny - you too Diana dear," said Mrs. Weasley as Mr. Weasley left the kitchen. "Harry why don't you come and eat some lunch dear."

Diana and Harry sat across from Ron and Hermione and Diana noticed everyone, including herself, looked considerably happier than they had when Harry had arrived. The four discussed the trial with a happy tone throughout lunch until Harry suddenly slapped his hand against his scar. The other three furrowed their brows and looked at their friend with alarm.

"Scar," Harry muttered, " But it's nothing... it happens all the time now...."

No one else had noticed.

===

"Booklists have arrived," declared Ron as he came into the bedroom. It was the last day of holiday, Diana had been reading and Harry had been cleaning hedwig's droppings from the top of the cupboard when Ron came in; Hermione was anxiously packing the next room over. "About time, I thought they'd forgotten, they usually come much earlier than this..." he threw one to Diana on the bed and one up to Harry on the chair.

"It's inconsiderate to wait this long, now everyone's going to be rushing to diagon alley. Did you give Hermione hers, Ron?" Diana asked, ripping the envelope open.

Ron looked up and nodded before continuing to read his letter.

"Only two new ones," Harry began to read aloud, "The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5, by Miranda Goshawk and Defensive Magical Theory, by Wilbert Slinkhard."

"Theory? That doesn't sound right," Diana frowned as Fred and George apparated into the room.

"We were just wondering who assigned the Slinkhard book," said Fred.

"Because it means Dumbledore's found a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," George followed.

"I forgot, Neville told me my first night you guys go through them pretty fast. They probably have a hard time getting a new one every year." Diana laughed, "Though, if we don't like them we'll just have to wait it out right?" Everyone nodded, well, almost everyone.

"What's up with you, Ron?" asked Fred.

Ron didn't answer. Diana looked over at him; he was just standing, looking down at his letter.

"What's the matter?" Fred asked, again. Growing impatient, he went and looked over Ron's shoulder and read his letter. Fred's mouth fell open. "Prefect? Prefect?" George jumped up and grabbed the envelope and dumped out a shiny prefect pin.

"Good job, Ron!" Diana smiled.

"There must have been a mistake," said Fred while holding up the letter to the light looking for falsities. "No one in their right mind would make Ron a Prefect..." Fred trailed off and he and George turned their heads to look at Harry with wide eyes.

"We thought you were a cert!"

"We thought Dumbledore was bound to pick you!"

"Winning the Triwizard and everything!"

"I suppose it counted against him," George said to Fred.

"Prefect.... Ickle Ronnie the Prefect...'

"Oh mom's going to be revolting." George threw the badge back at Ron, who handed it to Diana and Harry.

Diana watched the exchange and laughed as she realized Ron still hadn't said anything. The door banged open and Hermione came bursting through.

"Did you-" she saw the badge in Harry's hand, "Oh me too Harry!" she showed her letter in front of them. "I knew it!"

"No Hermione, Ron's prefect." Diana grinned.

"I - what?"

"It's not me it's Ron," Harry said as he handed the pin back to Ron.

"Ron? Are you sure? I mean-"

"Hermione." Diana gave her a pointed look.

Ron, suddenly cured of his muteness, looked defiantly at Hermione. "It's my name on the letter."

Hermione blushed profusely, "Well done Ron. That's really-"

"Unexpected." George offered.

"No, Ron's done a lot of great things," Hermione continued to turn red. She was interrupted as Mrs. Weasley backed into the room with a laundry bin.

"Ginny said the booklists came, if you give me your lists I can go to diagon alley while you all finish packing. Ron you need new pajamas, what color would you like?"

"Red and Gold to match his new Prefect badge." Fred smirked.

===

"So Ron how do you feel? Have you got any superpowers from your badge yet?" Diana joked as she sat down next to him.

"Oh piss off not you too." Ron said half heartedly.

"What's wrong?" Diana asked, taking a sip of butterbeer. The "small" party Mrs. Weasley had put together celebrating Ron and Hermione becoming Prefects, was in full swing.

"I just don't think I should be Prefect." Ron sighed, looking at Diana. "What's wrong with your nose?"

"Oh Tonks told me to try and work on changing facial features, it's more difficult to keep them for extended periods of time I guess." Diana shrugged, "Who else would they have made Prefect? Sheamus blows things up, Neville, bless his soul, doesn't have much of a backbone, Dean seems too quiet I think, and Harry-" Diana continued before Ron could interrupt her, "has a lot going on with quidditch and night terrors."

"But-"

"AND you are stubborn, which I think is good for a prefect, and are able to tolerate younger kids. You're also very loud sometimes."

Ron chuckled, he looked over at Harry, who's mood had lifted considerably since finding out James was never a Prefect either.

"Perk up okay? It's your party." Diana smiled and patted Ron's cheek before getting up to join Ginny and Tonks.