Chapter 1 - A New Start

Diana groaned as she rolled over in bed. She really didn't want to do this. She wanted more than anything to be in her dorm at Ilvermorny with Jess and Paige, but alas no. She was in a flat in London about to go to a new school with new people.

"No need to be so dramatic," her father began, walking into her room, "come on I let you sleep in it's already ten o'clock you don't want to miss the train."

"Contrary to that belief father," Diana retorted, "I think missing the train would be a splendid idea." She sat up in bed to see her father giving her a warning look.

"Diana Alma Black get up now. I'm not asking you again, you need to pack." Diana's father wasn't very patient but thankfully her mother was just around the corner.

"Apollo dear why don't you get breakfast ready." Diana's mother called, hoping to lure him out of the bedroom. She walked in and saw her disgruntled daughter sitting up in bed with her head in her hands.

"Don't make me do this mom." Diana pleaded, looking up from her hands. "I'll have no friends. I won't know anyone. What if everyone hates me? Then what am I going to do?"

She laughed, "No one is going to hate you. Your father is right, you're being dramatic. If you truly can't find any friends that find Sirius's godson, he already knows you're coming and Sirius told him to keep an eye out for you." She sat down on the bed next to Diana and gave her a hug.

"Yeah because Harry Potter is going to want to be friends with me." Diana scoffed. "I doubt I'll even be in the same house as him. I'll probably be in Slytherin like dad." She sighed while getting up and began to throw an assortment of things into her trunk.

"Your uncle was in Gryffindor, you know and you're more like him than anyone else." Diana's mother said, trying to comfort her daughter who continued to shove robes into her trunk. "I'm sure some other mascot other than Slytherins serpent will want you in their house. Then you'll be able to choose where you want to go." She smiled feeling successful in cheering her daughter up.

"It's not like Ilvermorny mom. I don't get to choose and neither do the houses. Dad said a manky old hat decides where you end up. So as well as being put with a bunch of snobs I'm going to get head lice." Diana laughed at her joke. Her mother did not.

Diana's mother was helping her pack now. Taking everything out of the trunk and attempting to organize it. Diana was reading through the list to pack and landed on dress robes. This was strange, she never needed dress robes at Ilvermorny. "Mom, why do I need dress robes?"

"Let me see," she started, taking the list from her daughter's hand, "I'm not sure, just grab something suitable from the closet."

Diana grabbed a dress from her mothers closet and stuffed it in the trunk with everything else. "Where's my broom?" she asked.

"Ask your father, I'm not sure." her mother responded. Diana rolled her eyes and walked out of the room. Her mother followed closely behind with her trunk.

"Dad where's my broom?" she asked him as she arrived at the kitchen. Her father pointed behind her next to a man holding an owl in a cage. "Uncle Sirius!" She ran and gave him a hug. Sirius dropped the owl cage causing the screech owl in it to, well screech. 

"Hey kiddo! I needed to see you before you left and to bring you this." Sirius pointed to the still squawking owl on the floor. The bird was a little disheveled and rather unattractive. "I know," he began as if he could read her mind, "she's definitely not the prettiest but she's a very smart bird. I figured you'd need her now as you're going to be so far away in Scotland."

"Thank you." Diana said before grabbing her broom.

"Hello Sirius, I thought we might be seeing you today." Diana's mother said stiffly. Unlike her husband, Diana's mother was rather uncomfortable about having an Azkaban escapee in her kitchen. She knew he was innocent but it still put her off a bit.

"Don't be so stiff Maddie." Sirius said, patting her on the back, "I just wanted to see the little one off." He turned to Diana and pulled her into another hug. "You're going to have a great time at Hogwarts Diana. I promise. And you can hold me accountable if you don't." Diana narrowed her eyes at him and nodded. "I'll be off then." And with that he turned on his heel and Disapperated from the flat.

"It's 10:30 are you ready?" Apollo said, glancing at the clock.

"I'm packed, I just need to change." And with that Diana headed back down the hall towards her bedroom. She grabbed a pair of jeans and a red t-shirt and slipped out of her pajamas. She grabbed her white converse and looked in the mirror. Her naturally dirty blond hair was a mess. She had already packed her hair brush in her trunk so she simply straightened it with a little concentration. She wanted long hair today so she watched as it grew from her shoulders to her waist. She looked closer into the mirror and saw her hair was taking on a reddish hue as it did whenever she was frustrated or angry. Diana took a deep breath and it returned to a dirty blond. She looked back in the mirror and saw her blue eyes staring back at her in concern. She sighed and put her sneakers on before moving to the bathroom to brush her teeth. She grabbed her toothbrush and went to stick it in her trunk.

"Where's your wand?" Her mother asked.

Diana turned back around and grabbed from her nightstand and stuck it in the waistband of her jeans.

"You're not going to eat anything?" her dad called from the kitchen. Diana walked back to her parents and just shook her head, she felt rather queasy. "Alright then let's go." He grabbed her unnamed owl and her mom grabbed her trunk leaving Diana to carry her broom. It was already 10:45 and the train left at 11.

"We're going to have to take the floo network." Diana's mom stated. Diana cringed at the thought of showing up all sooty and gross but decided it didn't really matter. She grabbed some powder and was brought to Kings Cross station soon followed by her mother and father. Diana wasn't sure where they ended up, a train station seemed like a strange place for a fireplace.

"Alright let's go." Diana's father grabbed her hand as they rushed through the crowded station. She bumped into a small girl with red hair and was already being dragged away before she could apologize.

"Alright where is it? 9 ¾?" Diana looked at her father with a knowing look as he pointed to a brick divider between platforms 9 and 10. She gasped as the same girl from earlier melted into the wall with a gaggle of red haired children. She really shouldn't have been surprised though. Her father dragged her through the wall with her mother bringing up the rear. In front of her was a red steam engine with the words Hogwarts Express printed on the side.