Chapter 41 - High Inquisitor?

The rest of the week passed by and Diana kept to herself. She didn't look at Theo and he didn't make an effort to speak to her again. He had practically begged for her to talk to him and just ended up being hurtful instead.

Diana went about her routine and pretended nothing was wrong. Ginny asked her why she was acting strange, but Diana always lied and said she didn't know what she was talking about. Most nights she had a hard time falling asleep thinking of what could've possibly happened to Theo to make him become like this.

Quidditch tryouts were on Friday and although her heart wasn't really in it, she made the team along with Ron. There was a party in the common room after to celebrate the new team.

"So what's really happening?" Fred asked Diana. They were leaning against the wall holding their butter beers watching the festivities. Katie Bell was helping Ron try on the old keeper's robes.

"We're celebrating the new team." Diana said matter-of-factedly.

Fred turned to face her and frowned, "I told you I would be your friend at school and try and help you with all this Nott bullshit, but I can't do that if you're going to act all mysterious." Fred tended to wave his hands around as he talked.

"He just said some things that were hurtful and in poor taste," Diana said.

"You talked to him?" Fred was taken aback.

"Yeah we have to be partners again for Ancient Runes on Babbling's orders so he asked if we could talk on Monday and I agreed," she paused to make sure Fred was still listening, "He asked me how I was doing and I was honest. Albeit, I was a little harsh, but was I suppose to say? I was fine? Anyways, I guess what I said hurt him or something because he said some vile shit back about how maybe he was suppose to be a part of the death eaters, or something along those lines. They fucked him up somehow. He said that it was my fault though, that I was the one that did this to him."

Fred cleared his throat, Diana didn't look at him and instead watched George hand a first year a nosebleed nougat, "Yeah I don't know what to tell you kid."

"Well that was insightful," Diana scoffed and took another sip from her drink.

"Maybe just really focus on school or Quidditch, take your mind off of all of it. I mean you do have OWLs this year and you said you want to be a healer so maybe put all your energy to studying. Personally, for selfish reasons, I would prefer if you spent all your time training for Quidditch so we can we the house cup this year," Diana laughed, "but obviously I'll support whatever you want."

"I mean I guess you're right I can do both. Who knows maybe Nott made the Slytherin team and you can bang him up with a Bludger." Diana and Fred laughed.

===

Their first Quidditch practice was the next afternoon and Diana joined her new teammates in the locker room.

"You and Alicia have the same build thankfully," Angelina tossed Diana some scarlet robes.

Diana put them on and smiled at Ron, "Excited teammate?" she asked while elbowing him.

"Someone's in a good mood," Ron said surprised before lowering his voice and saying, "You and Harry have been down in the dumps all week."

Diana shrugged and turned her attention to Angelina.

"Okay everyone, let's get to it; Fred and George if you can just bring out the crate for us. Also, there are a couple of people out there watching, but just ignore them." The edge in her voice hinted that we should already know who was waiting for us.

Sure enough the Slytherin team was waiting for them along with Parkinson. Diana squinted her eyes against the sun and saw Theo was sitting next to Malfoy. Of course.