Chapter 6 - SPEW

The rest of the week was dull but Diana was finally adjusting to Hogwarts. She still had a long way to go but after her promise to herself in Herbology on Monday she had made an effort and the universe rewarded her. She was getting along well with almost everyone. She and Ginny talked about boys and quidditch and she did her homework with Hermione. Ron and Harry also discussed quidditch with her and she helped them with their work. Hermione was grateful for that. Fred and George had caught wind that she was a metamorphmagus and recruited her to join them in their pranks. Diana agreed almost immediately. Back at Ilvermorny she and Jess pulled pranks all the time. Neville and her went for walks around the lake together.

On Thursday afternoon she and Neville went for a stroll and talked about their defense against the dark arts lesson where mad-eye showed them the unforgivable curses. Neville confided in Diana that his parents were once Aurors who were tortured into insanity by Bellatrix Lestrange. It was no wonder that that lesson had such an effect on him. Watching the bug experience what his parents had gone through was too much for him. Diana wasn't sure how she felt about Professor Moody. He was absolutely mental as Ron said but he was at least being honest about what was out there.

"Come on Neville it's time for dinner." Diana said as they finished walking around the lake.

They began walking up to the castle when Neville asked wearily, "How's studying with Nott?"

"Oh you know," Diana started, the leaves crunched under her feet and a cold breeze blew past her bare legs, "He's not that bad for a Slytherin. Ron reckons he's only nice to me because I'm a Pureblood but I don't know." Diana did a better job of hiding her smile this time. Neville didn't notice. They were walking across the courtyard now into the entrance hall. "We're studying again tonight."

"I'm glad he's not giving you a hard time," Neville said, "He's one of the only Slytherins who doesn't give me a hard time."

Diana frowned as they walked into the Great Hall. "Tell me if Malfoy gives you a hard time okay?"

Neville nodded and they sat down for dinner with Harry, Hermione, and Ron.

"Blimey Diana, you look Ron eating that fast." Harry chuckled.

Diana took a big swallow, choking a little, before saying, "I have to meet Nott in the library again and then I have a ton of homework." She set down her fork on her empty plate and left the Great Hall.

"She's a bit strange huh?" Harry said.

"I like her. I think she's funny." Ron countered. Neville and Hermione nodded in agreement.

"Me too." said Harry.

===

Diana and Theodore had been hard at work for an hour when Diana decided it was time to go. Theodore was disappointed there were no shenanigans or muggle games tonight. He didn't express this.

"How's Daphne?" Diana questioned as they started to leave the library. It wasn't mocking Theodore noticed. It was genuine interest.

"I don't think she's the one for me. She changed over the summer." He shrugged, "Do you need help this time?"

Diana shook her head, "Sorry to hear that and I think I'm okay thanks. Bye Theo!"

"Don't call me Theo!" He called after her but she was already out of sight. Theodore grinned to himself and headed down to the dungeons.

Diana arrived in the Common Room to see everyone doing their homework. Harry was hanging off the couch upside down reading Unfogging the future while Ron scribbled furiously on a piece of parchment. She sat down next to Harry and read his Divination homework. Neither of the boys were aware of her presence until she read aloud from Harry's prediction chart, "Why are you in danger of getting burns on monday?"

Harry and Ron looked up at her and grinned as she took out her own homework. "Here look at mine." Ron handed her his chart and she snorted.

"You're going to drown twice next week?" Ron cursed as he grabbed it back from her and changed one of them to be stampeded by a hippogriff. Diana and Harry laughed as they all finished their work.

"Hello!" Hermione had just walked into the common room with rolls of parchment and a noisy box. "I've also just finished!"

Harry just put his quill down when he asked the question everyone was thinking. "What's in the box?"

She opened the box and revealed about 50 different colored badges all saying S.P.E.W.

"What's spew?" Diana asked.

"Not spew," Hermione began, "It's S-P-E-W. Or Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare."

"Never heard of it." Ron stated the obvious.

Ron and Hermione then got in an argument about house elves. Ron said they liked being enslaved while Hermione argued it was inhumane. Diana and Harry watched the back and forth for several minutes until Hermione was declared the winner.

"We have to recruit members. Ron, you're treasurer and Harry you're secretary. You should probably write this down. Diana, you can be the fundraising chair." Diana had not been paying attention until she heard her name. Ron looked like he was about to say something when a tap came from the window.

Harry rushed to the window where Hedwig sat with Hestia. "Hestia?" Diana questioned and untied the letter from her leg before she flew off with Hedwig.

"It's from Sirius." Harry stated.

"Yeah mine too." Diana read her letter.

Diana-

I hope you're having a good time at Hogwarts. Your father misses you dearly and has told me to make sure you write to him. Not sure how I can do that as I'm out of the country. I am returning soon though Harry has told me some news. Stay safe and I love you.

Sirius

"What did you tell Sirius that's making him rush back here?" Diana asked, a little annoyed. She didn't want her uncle to get caught.

"My scar is hurting. He says Dumbledore is reading the signs. What does that mean?" Everyone turned to Hermione.

"I don't know." She said simply.

"I shouldn't have told him." Harry said in anger.

Diana sighed and looked at Harry. "It's going to be okay Harry. He knows what he's doing." She squeezed his shoulder and bid everyone goodnight.