ii. | N I N E T E E N

N E R I S S A

Some things never change. I woke up this morning, feeling better than I've had over the past few weeks. But that was not what brought a smile to my face. What did was seeing Peter fumbling around clumsily with his armour at the foot of the bed as he tried to put it on.

Stretching out my muscles, I let out a content sigh at the way they don't seem to ache. "Need some help?"

Peter startles, only seeming to notice that I've awoken. His lips stretch into a lopsided grin as he takes me in, his eyes filled with adoration.

"Yes, please." He chuckles as I get to my feet, shuffling my way over to him. "I didn't mean to wake you. I thought you'd appreciate some extra time to sleep."

Reaching around his shoulders, I tighten the straps before silently working down to his waist.

"I still remember the first time you offered to help me with my armour." He says with a wistful smile, "Do you have any idea how much I was already taken by you?"

I raise a brow at him teasingly, "That early on? We've only known each other for days."

He wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him before brushing his lips across my forehead in a gentle kiss.

"I hadn't realised it then, but you already had my heart." He whispers, "It has always been you, my darling. Always will be."

Peter lowers his lips to mine, kissing me gently in a way that makes my stomach flutter and my heart squeeze.

"I love you." He mutters against my lips.

"I love you, too," I reply, burying my fingers in his golden locks at the nape of his neck. "Promise me you'll be careful."

He answers with another kiss, one more fervent this time. One filled with promise.

"I promise I'll never leave you again."

Peter clutches my hand in what feels like a death-grip and guides me out of the room. Soon, we emerge outside and the field buzzes with energy from the sea of Narnians surrounding us, awaiting their King's arrival.

Peter and I come to a stop by the tall columns that act as an opening to the arena. Edmund stands by Peter, never leaving his brother's side as the crowd of Narnians cheered him on.

Giving my hand a final squeeze, he slips his fingers out from mine and I immediately miss the warmth of his hand intertwined with mine.

I pull Peter's helmet over his head, gripping onto the base to force him to look at me. "Don't die."

He chuckles, giving me a quick peck on the cheek. "I won't."

Miraz and his men stood across from us with a sea of troops behind them, and I can't help but notice how vastly outnumbered we were.

Peter gives my hand a tight squeeze before he takes a step forward, sheathing his sword as he steps into the battlefield.

"There's still time to surrender." Miraz taunts, stopping in front of my fiancé.

"Well, feel free."